President Barack Obama has made his case for airstrikes against the militant Islamic group ISIS in the Middle East. But has the world community focused enough on supporting Muslims who oppose fundamentalism and terrorism as a way of defeating Islamic extremism? And how has Muslim fundamentalism changed 13 years after Sept. 11?
Joining us to help answer these questions is UC Davis international law professor and Muslim fundamentalism expert Karima Bennoune. She is the author of “Your Fatwa Does Not Apply Here: Untold Stories from the Fight Against Muslim Fundamentalism.” Her TED talk, based on the book, is nearing 1 million views.
- Open Democracy: Your Fatwa Does Not Apply Here
- Open Democracy: Opposing Political Islam: Mohamed Brahmi's Widow Speaks Out
- Open Democracy: From 1990s Algeria to 9/11 and ISIS: Understanding the history of "Homoislamicus fundamentalensis"
- Open Democrazy: From 1990s Algeria To Iraq today: Trampling Islam underfoot in the name of Jihad
- Open Democracy: Algeria and Nigeria: Sharing the deadweight of human mindlessness