Become a Supporter
Become a Supporter
Chewing The Fat Before Bacon Fest 8: Has The #MeToo Movement Changed The Restaurant Industry One Year Later?
Sacramento Bacon Fest 8 kicks off this week with a sizzling list of competitive and social events to fill your belly and lift your spirits. This year, Bacon Fest organizers selected an all female panel of judges to evaluate the 8th Annual Chef’s Challenge at Mulvaney’s B&L. The decision signals that organizers want to boost equity and inclusion in the Sacramento food scene. In 2018, the restaurant industry was rocked by several #MeToo movement scandals that revealed harassment and inequality in the kitchens of celebrity chefs Mario Batali, Charlie Hallowell and many others.
Today, Insight kicks off the festivities with a conversational appetizer to help you chew the fat with foodies of all stripes at Bacon Fest 8 events.
Local foodies love to chew the fat in America’s Farm-To-Fork Capital, but how much has the #MeToo movement changed restaurants behind the kitchen doors?
Here to mull over that question are three Bacon Fest participants who savor an honest conversation.
Journalist Janelle Bitker writes for Eater SF. She has also covered food, art and culture as managing editor and food critic for the East Bay Express and as editor and food critic at the Sacramento News & Review. Janelle Bitker will serve as one of the judges at the main event.
Kimio Bazett is a co-owner of several restaurants in Sacramento including The Golden Bear. Bazett has been open about the risks of alcohol for restaurant professionals. His restaurant Hook & Ladder stopped serving 12 Rounds Brewing after the owner made disparaging remarks about the Women’s March, immigrants, and other targets. He last joined Insight in 2018 when Kru helped raise money for suicide prevention in the wake of chef Anthony Bourdain’s death.
And Sarah Saldaña is a sous chef at The Golden Bear, and a Bacon Fest competitor. She has also crafted delicious bites at Hook & Ladder, Block Butcher Bar and Mulvaney’s B&L.
You can continue the conversation and enjoy the best food and drink the city has to offer at several Sacramento Bacon Fest 8 events:
- Feb. 6 - Kick Off Party at Urban Roots Brewing & Smokehouse
- Feb. 7 - Skee Ball Tournament at Two Rivers Cider Company
- Feb. 8 - Bacon Happy Hour at Alaro Brewing with A Baconized Menu by Chef Jason Azevedo
- Feb. 8 - Kevin Bacon Soundtrack Tribute Show at The Torch Club
- Feb. 9 - Hook And Ladder Bacon Fest Brunch
- Feb. 9 - Bacon Waffle Brunch at Bike Dog Brewing
- Feb. 9 - Selland’s Paella On The Patio
- Feb. 9 - Luau Lunch Buffet at Empress Tavern
- Feb. 9 - Bacon Suicide IPA Night at Pangaea Biers Cafe
- Feb. 10 - Bike Ride & Bacon Shred Dog
- Feb. 10 - Bacon Fest Brunch at Canon East
- Feb. 10 - 8th Annual Chef’s Challenge at Mulvaney’s B&L (SOLD OUT)
Sign up for ReCap
and never miss the top stories
Delivered to your inbox every Wednesday.