Football star Ray Rice's domestic violence indictment and ensuing NFL punishment have sparked a national debate about spousal abuse. Joining us to explain what everyone can learn from this new discussion about domestic violence is Director of Development & Community Relations at Women Escaping a Violent Environment (WEAVE) Julie Bornhoeft.
Support & Information Line: 916.920.2952
866.920.2952 (Toll Free) | 916.443.3715 (TDD)
National Domestic Violence Hotline
The Solano County community of Green Valley will begin using water that wasn’t available before the Napa earthquake last month. The city of Vallejo, which manages the Green Valley Water Treatment Plant, received confirmation Tuesday afternoon that the water released by the Napa earthquake is safe to drink.
U.S. Geological Survey geologist Tom Holzer joins us to explain why this is happening and the assistant public works director for water in the City of Vallejo, Franz J. Nestlerode, joins us to explain how the new water will help the community of Green Valley cope with the drought.
- SFGate.com: Surprise bonanza since Napa quake: dry creeks now flowing
- Capradio.org: Napa Earthquake Shakes Loose Unknown Groundwater
In the next installment of Kushman by the Bottle, Capital Public Radio’s resident wine expert Rick Kushmanjoins us to explain how the Napa earthquake this past August affected the wine industry there.
In the spirit of the Farm-to-Fork celebration, here are a handful of wines from small local wineries and local vineyards around Sacramento in every direction. I just used them at my monthly Kushman on Wine & Food event at 33rd St. Bistro and people loved them. They’re just a few of the many terrific wines grown and made this region.
- Clarksburg Wine Co., 2010 Chenin Blanc, Clarksburg
- Revolution Wines, 2013 St. Rey Chenin Blanc
- Cabana Wines, 2012 Sauvignon Blanc, Lodi
- Uphill Vineyards, 2010 Tempranillo, Amador County
- Route 3 Wines, 2011 Syrah-Viognier, Dunnigan Hills
- Putah Creek Winery, 2011 Ransom Red (Sangiovese/Syrah blend), Solano County
- Sundstrom Hill Winery, 2012 Walker Ranch Zinfandel, El Dorado County
- CapRadio's Earthquake Coverage
- Insight Coverage: Napa Earthquake
- Bottle Talk with Rick & Paul
- Rick's vineyard class at Lava Cap Winery on Sept. 13
Lois Ann Abraham's compilation of short stories, Circus Girl & Other Stories, details the stories of women as they find purpose in life and discover their own identities. These women are seeking to make sense of life and find themselves on the road marked by self-examination. Lois Ann's stories have been featured in Sojourner, Chico News & Review, Writing on the Edge, inside english, Burning the Little Candle, and Convergences. Abraham can be seen and heard reading an excerpt from her book at Stories on Stage in Davis on Sept. 13.