Tuesday, November 19, 2013
STEM Symposium As California prepares to implement Common Core and Next Generation Science Standards, the first ever teach-in to learn the best practices and latest teaching innovations in STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) education is taking place in Sacramento. For two days – Nov. 18 and 19 – 2,000 kindergarten through 12 grade educators will share strategies, ideas and tools to educate and inspire students. We'll talk with California State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Torlakson about the First California STEM Symposium.
Listen to STEM Symposium
Thomas Suarez taught himself how to create iphone apps, and is now helping other kids learn to program. (Filmed at TEDxManhattanBeach.)
News Network As state and federal funding for conservation efforts in the Lake Tahoe Basin dry up, the organizations committed to protecting the lake’s pristine beauty are turning to the private sector for funding. Capital Public Radio’s Sierra Reporter Ky Plakson joins us to discuss this issue and more. Plus, the City of Stockton still has no city manager nearly two weeks after David Garcia was set to accept the position from predecessor Bob Deis. Joining us to explain what happens next is News 10 Reporter Tim Daly.
Listen to News Network
ADHD Grows Up How is ADHD (attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder) different in adults than in children? That's the focus of a presentation this Wednesday at the UC Davis MIND Institute. In childhood, the symptoms of ADHD are inattention, a lack of focus, difficulties with completing homework, being easily distracted and forgetting to complete chores and other day-to-day activities. In adults, the symptoms include fidgetiness, talking a lot, having difficulty waiting ones turn, restlessness and impulsive decision making. Drs. Julie Schweitzer and Faye Dixon join us in studio to talk about the differences and new research that may help people understand better that ADHD is a real, neurobiological condition, and not a character flaw.
Listen to ADHD Grows Up
Run to Feed the Hungry Can you imagine Thanksgiving without food? How about Thanksgiving without a 10K run through East Sac and parts of Midtown? Since the inception of Run to Feed the Hungry, 20 years ago, many in Sacramento haven’t had to worry about missing either of those things on Thanksgiving. Organizers of the event, which is the largest Thanksgiving Day run in America, are expecting more than 30,000 people to sign up this year. Much of the of the proceeds will go to the Sacramento Food Bank and Family Services, which will then feed hungry people throughout the Sacramento region. The food bank is also collecting turkeys for hungry families this Friday. President of the Sacramento Food Bank and Family Services Blake Young and Director of The Run to Feed the Hungry Rich Hanna join us to talk more about the event and who it serves most.
Listen to Run to Feed the Hungry
November 24, 2015
- Insight: PolitiFact California / StoryCorps Sacramento Stories / Pet Tales: Senior Pets / Epsilona
- Insight Rebroadcast: Past, Present And Future Of LGBT Rights
- Insight: The Political Junkie Goes West / The Journey Of Stem Cells / Winter Movie Preview
- Insight: Capitol Chat / Sacramento Historical Society / James Lee Stanley
- Insight: Dyslexia Changes / Letters to the Future / Remembering Mitch Agruss / Sound Advice: Jazz
- Insight: Paris Attack's Impact On Refugees / "Of Kites And Kings" / The Streets Of Truckee
- Insight: Refugee Resettlement / Grant High School Shooting / "Skeleton Stories" / Pac Avenue Records
- Insight: Political Junkie / CSU Faculty Labor Dispute / Verge Art Auction
- Insight: Capitol Chat / Fantasy Sports Betting / Stockton Symphony / Frederick K. Foote
- Insight: Tahoe Ski Resorts Now Open / Submerge Mag's 200th Issue / Sound Advice: Classical
- Insight: Veteran's Road / Kushman By The Bottle / Hamlet & Macbeth
- Insight On The Road: Live From Reno
- Insight: Capitol Chat / Rebroadcast: Sea Otters / Dose Hermanos
- Insight: Sacramento's Minimum Wage / Defending Beef / Pet Tales / 'The Curse of Quon Gwon'
- Insight: Vanessa Diffenbaugh / 'Adoration of Dora' / Sea Of Bees / Sound Advice: Blue Dog Jam
- Insight: California And Canada / Monarch Butterflies / Mayor Kevin Johnson / Willy Tea Taylor
- Insight: News Network: Auburn / Dr. Bennet Omalu / 'A Doll's House' / Alex Jenkins
- Insight: Capitol Chat / Alzheimer’s Research / Yolo Food Truck Campaign / Ji in Yang
- Insight: Dem Debate Debrief / Refugee Crisis In Germany / Kushman By The Bottle / 'Reefer Sanity'
- Insight: News Network / Minimum Wage / Tom Gjelten / "The Wine Bible"
- Insight: The Political Junkie Goes West / Red Dress Party / Tom Rigney / The Pizza Bible
- Insight: Capitol Chat / "Game Changes" / St. John's Party For Change / Fantastic Negrito
- Insight: U.S. Supreme Court Preview / "Brundibár" / Jazz And Civil Rights / Sound Advice
- Insight: Dan Barber And The Future Of Food / Hank Shaw / Benjamin Hunt / Anna Tivel
- Insight: Capitol Chat / Disabled Water Skier / The Legends of the Blues
- Insight: Use Of Force Numbers / Sacramento Comedy Festival / Jazz Sound Advice
- Insight: Regulating Medical Marijuana / Peter Hecht / Anna-Marie McLemore
- Insight: Water Flows In Mars / News Network: Butte Fire / Nepal Earthquake / Richard Savino
- Insight: The Political Junkie Goes West / All Youth Film Fest / Hot Tuna's Jack Casady
- Pope on Capitol Hill / Microbeads / Delano Anniversary / Sound Advice: BDJ
- Insight: Pope Francis In DC / Pet Tales: Fire Rescue / Syrian Refugee Crisis / Comedy Sportz
- Insight: Fire Update / Capitol Recap / The Political Junkie Goes West / Sasha Abramsky Book
- Insight: Capitol Chat / California Craft Beer Summit / Farm To Every Fork / 'The House Is Innocent'
- Insight: Pink License Plates / StoryCorps MobileBooth / Kushman By The Bottle / Nick Waterhouse
- Insight: Anthony Sadler Interview Highlights / Bill Jones / Rebroadcast: Wayne Dyer / Sound Advice
- Insight: Uber At SMF / Science Night In Lodi / Chalk It Up! Festival / Emily Kollars
- Insight: News Network / Arrival Story: Deisy Caro / The View From Here: DACA / Bars And Measures
- Insight: Political Junkie Goes West / Overdose Awareness Day / KVIE's 'Yes, We're Open'
- Insight: News Network / Melanoma & Gamma Knife / Jewish Food Faire / Jim Martinez
- Insight: Nevada Earthquake Swarm / The Jane Thompson Trio / Hair By Music Circus
- Insight: California's Teacher Shortage / Dry Wells In Tuolumne County / Play: 'When We Were Colored'
- Insight: Capitol Chat / Tipping In Restaurants / Good Day Sacramento / Sound Advice: Classical
- Insight: An Unquiet Death / Kushman By The Bottle / Terror At 3AM / 'Spittin Image'
- Insight Special Broadcast: Past, Present And Future Of LGBT Rights
- Insight: News Network / McGeorge Immigration Clinic / Incarceration And Children / 'Next To Normal'
- Insight: Political Junkie Goes West / 'Humankind' / Clara's House / Tommy Caldwell
- Insight: Capitol Chat / California Citrus Groves / FreeBadge Serenaders / Sound Advice
- Insight: Dan Morain / The Earthquake That Could Destroy Seattle / Elaine Corn
- Insight: News Network / Pluto / Alicia Hunt In 'Grounded' / Ideateam
- Insight: Iran Sanctions And California Pistachios / Cal Tjader Book / Sound Advice
- Insight: Reaching Pluto / Auburn Drug Company / James Rollins / Sound Workshop For Girls
- Insight: Capitol Chat / California State Fair / Stand-Up Comedy Class / Carter-Cash Film
- Insight: Arena Lawsuit / Asian, Latino Voters / 'Surviving The Silence' / Sound Advice
- Insight: News Network / Special Legislative Session On Transportation / 'No Exit'
- Insight: Political Junkie Goes West / The Changing Music Industry / Salt Wizard
- Insight: Capitol Chat / Robert S. Nelsen / Julia B. Levine / Sound Advice
- Insight: News Network / Sacramento Zoo's New Director / K-ZAP Relaunch / Sean Pawling
- Insight: SCOTUS ACA Ruling / Capitol Chat / Kathryn Ma / Angélique Kidjo / Sound Advice
- Insight: Lawyers / Mobile Food Pantry / Pet Tales / Kathey Norton
- Insight: High-Speed Rail Construction / Sacramento French Film Festival / Robert Hass / Sound Advice
- Insight: California Budget Deal / Syrian Refugee Crisis / Artist Merle Axelrad / Dog Party
- Insight: Capitol Chat / Cowtown Eats / Nice Monster / Jonah Matranga
- Insight: TedX Sacramento: Bionic Pancreas / Kushman By The Bottle / Shrem Museum Of Art Opening
- Insight: News Network: Sierra Lightning / Bats In Walnut Groves / Ernesto Sirolli
- Insight: Political Junkie Goes West / Sacramento's Tech Scene / Sea Urchin Die-Off / Drop Dead Red
- Insight: Political Junkie Goes West / Microbes In Space / Cherry Season / Summer Movies
- Insight: Capitol Chat / Christian Kiefer / SummerWords And Carolyn Forché / Karen Bender
- Insight: New Rules For Sacramento Food Trucks / Ilya Ponomarev / Pet Tales / SummerWords
- Insight: The Political Junkie Goes West / News Network / Arts Scene In Sacramento
- Insight: Capitol Chat / Preservation & Co. Break-In / Bill Champlin / Sound Advice: Classical
- Insight: News Network / 'Weed: The New Science Of Marijuana' / CORE Dance / B.B. King Tribute
- Insight: Political Junkie Goes West / Tech Teens / Sands Hall
- Insight: News Network / Hunger In The Farm-To-Fork Capital / Dr. James Abshire / Lofts Concert
- Insight: News Network / City On The Verge / 'American River Insider's Guide' / 'Songs Of Eternity'
- Insight: Ken Rudin / 'Living The Sanctuary Life' / Joseph In The Well
- Insight: Sacramento Grid 2.0 / May is Bike Month / Amador Four Fires
- Insight: Organic Life Author / Sacramento Urban Search And Rescue / Saigon Anniversary
- Insight: Capitol Chat / Mike Sager / Sound Advice
- Insight: Armenian Genocide 100 Years Later / Pet Tales / Jim Nunally And Nell Robinson
- Insight: News Network / Urban Agriculture Ordinance / 'The Chisera'
- Insight: Political Junkie Goes West / Sue Pearson / Jeffrey Young
- Insight: Capitol Chat: SB277 / Japanese-American Internment Artifacts / Scottish Games
- Insight: California Water Rights / Hannah Nordhaus / Rita Coolidge / Sound Advice: Classical
- Insight: News Network / Reclaiming The Sierra / California Native Plants / 'Once the Musical'
- Insight: Lake Tahoe Water Clarity / Preventing Pandemics / Kushman by the Bottle / 'Avenue Q'
- Insight: Political Junkie Goes West / Walk MS / 33 Variations / Johnny Taylor
- Insight: Capitol Chat / The Case For California Agriculture / ProPublica's 'Level 14' / Tig Notaro
- Insight: News Network / CapRadio's Bee Colonies / Jim Payne / Gluten-Free Easter
- Insight: The Political Junkie Goes West / Christian Kiefer / Lara Downes
- Insight: 'Right-To-Die' Legislation In California
- Insight: The Political Junkie Goes West / News Network: Stockton / Sharma Shields / Joe Tolo
- Insight: Sacramento City Council Meeting Recap / Delta Smelt / Pet Tales: Vaccines / Swan Lake
- Insight: Sea Lion Pup Rescue / Water Hyacinth In The Delta / Author Talia Vance / Sound Advice
- Insight: Sculpture Vote / Sikkil Gurucharan / Kushman By The Bottle / Barwick & Siegfried
- Insight: News Network: Sierra Nevada / Sacramento Library / The Wild Ones / Ladysmith Black Mambazo
- Insight: Pro And Con: ESC Public Art / Linda Joy Singleton / Paula Poundstone
- Insight: Water Rights / Ana Apple / Be Brave Bold Robot / Sound Advice
- Insight: Prop. 47, CA's Initiative Process / U.S. Air Force Concert Band / 'The West End Cabaret'
- Insight: News Network / Teen Sleep / Lodi Science Night / Meri St. Mary
- Insight: Political Junkie Goes West / Peanut Allergy Research / Lisa See's 'China Doll' / Tom Rigney
- Insight: Capitol Chat / Sacramento Beer Week / Tricia Stirling / Kathy Kosins
- Insight: News Network / Tobacco Ban / Woodland Honor Band Heads To Carnegie Hall
- Insight: Political Junkie Goes West / Barry Broome / Pierre Balthazard
- Insight: Capitol Chat / Nutrition Research / 'Wicked Women' / Italian Opera At Cal Stage
- Insight: The Political Junkie Goes West / News Network: Sacramento / Slow Medicine / Seven
- Insight: Capitol Chat / Renee Byer / The Science of Monogamy / Sound Advice: Break Up Jams
- Insight: News Network / Temple Grandin / Author James Rollins / Jack Gallagher
- Insight: Ken Rudin / Newborn Foals Research / Falling In Love Supreme
- Insight: Capitol Chat / Rock and Radio Remembered / The Wailin' Jennys
- Insight: News Network / Parks Forward / Heather Marie / Malcolm MacKenzie
- Insight: Political Junkie / Homeless Count / On-Field Concussions / Community Meal Plans
- Insight: Capitol Chat / State Of The City / Tobias Wolff / Band Of The Golden West
- Insight: Avocado Consumption / Peter Coyote / Sound Advice
- Insight: News Network: Stockton / World Economic Forum / Kevin Seconds
- Insight: The Political Junkie Goes West / Cartoonists / Reggie
- Insight: CapRadio's Cuba Trip / Capitol Chat / Sacramento's Theater Scene / Sound Advice: Classical
- Insight: Tom DuHain Retiring / Wild & Scenic Film Festival / Kushman By The Bottle / Rent Romus
- Capitol Chat: Barbara Boxer, State Budget / Ski Safety / Where The Chefs Eat / 'The Quiet Time'
- Insight: Political Junkie / State Of The State Preview / Cuban Jazz / SacImpulse
- Insight Best Of 2014: Interviews
- Best Of Insight 2014: Authors
- Insight Best Of 2014: Science And Discovery
- Insight: Holiday Sound Advice
- Insight: Capitol Chat / The History Of America's Rift With Cuba / Sacramento's Music Scene
- Insight: Grand Juries / Night Of Giving / Sound Advice
- Insight: Sacramento Policing Policies / NASA Curiosity Rover Discoveries / Joshua Davis' Spare Parts
- Insight: News Network / Soraya Sarhaddi Nelson / Holiday Movie Guide
- Insight: Drought / Capitol Chat / Afghan Women's Cycling Documentary / Sunmonks
- Insight: Northern California Storm / Dance Sites 2014 / Hot Buttered Rum
- Insight: USDA Visit / Genetically Engineered Rice / UC Davis Die-In / Kushman By The Bottle
- Insight: News Network / Lead Levels In California Condors / Sacramento Choral Society & Orchestra
- Insight: The Political Junkie Goes West / "Forgive Me, Father" / Men Of Worth
- Insight: Hidden Hunger: Storybooth / Food Pantry At UC Davis / Cantus / Sound Advice: Classical
- Insight: Capitol Chat / Pet Tales / Sound Advice: Blue Dog Jam / Calling Tempo
- Insight: Capitol Chat / Alpha K9 / Homeless Youth / Sound Advice: Submerge
- News Network: Stockton / Sea Star Wasting Disease / BaconMania / Wild Ones
- Insight: Ask Emily / ACA Open Enrollment / Capitol Chat / Good Weird
- Insight: Prop. 47 / Science Cafe: Sea Otters / Kushman By The Bottle / New Helvetia Play
- Insight: Water Bond / Lung Cancer In Northern California / Donna Reads / Sound Advice: Classical
- Insight: News Network At The Polls / Voter Turnout / UC Davis Wine Vault / Toure-Raichel Collective
- Insight: Political Junkie Goes West / Women In Politics / "Kate"
- Insight: Fair Political Practices Commission / The Proposition Song / Tahoe Crayfish / Sound Advice
- Insight: AdWatch / Anna Karenina / Pet Tales: Myths And Halloween Safety / Giant Corn Maze
- Insight: News Network: Nevada Elections / Author Paula Treick DeBoard / Bugs & Beer / Nell Robinson
- Insight: Capitol Chat / An Iliad / Tokyo Kill / Sound Advice: Cale Wiggins
- Insight: Sacramento State Food Day / Beyond Geek / Flint House / The Doorway
- Insight: Measure L / Strong Mayor Structural Analysis / The Political Junkie Goes West / Nagual
- Insight: Youth Vote In California / Domestic Violence Awareness / Wayne Dyer / Musical Robot
- Insight: News Network: Davis / Science Balloon / Home Funeral / Frankenstein
- Insight: Capitol Chat / Sacramento Specialty Coffee Week / On Pointe / Rising Stars of Opera
- Insight: Post Debate Analysis
- Insight: Props 47 And 48 / Science Cafe / Kushman by the Bottle / Misner And Smith
- Insight: News Network: Stockton / Sasha Abramsky / Sacramento State World Music Series
- Insight: Homeowners And Wildfires / Capitol Chat / Supreme Court Preview / Sacto Storytellers
- Insight: Air Quality And Wildfires / CapRadio Reads: Michelle Richmond / Sound Advice: TBD Fest
- Insight: Watersheds And Water Management / Pet Tales / Basetrack Live / Roland Dyens
- Insight: Wildfires In California And Australia / Molly Fisk / Johnny Taylor
- Insight: California Burning / Political Junkie / Dissecting The Simpsons / Oliver Lake
- Insight: Ebola In Liberia / California Sea Otters / Your Ideal Cat / A Thousand Years At Sea
- Insight: King Fire Updates And Air Quality Info / "River Music" / Maestro Peter Jaffe
- Insight: Capitol Chat / Bike & Pedestrian Safety / Tower Bridge Dinner / Anna Tivel
- Insight: King Fire Update / Enterovirus / Jazz Sound Advice
- Insight: News Network / Bamforth Bierklinik / One Eyed Reilly
- Insight: Ken Rudin / Middle East Strategies / Mark Hummel
- Insight: Capitol Chat: Nevada Special Session / Food Safety in Home Kitchens / Lucky Dog Ranch
- Insight: A Trip to Yosemite National Park
- Insight: US Airstrikes In Syria / Anthony Marra / Pet Tales: Disasters / Alex Nelson
- Insight: Capitol Chat / The Stagecoach / Sound Advice: Cale Wiggins / Lila Downs
- Insight: Water Bond Update / Waterwise Vineyard / Being A Travel Writer / "The Light In The Piazza"
- Insight: Wildfires From the Foothills To Wine Country / California State Fair / Cheese Conference
- Insight: CA Supreme Court Nominee / Sacratomato Week / Food Literacy Center / The Kimberly Trip
- Insight: OR-7 Mate / Veteran Caregivers / Kushman by the Bottle / "Bryce and the Blood Ninjas"
- Insight: Human Rights / Nigerian Girls / News Network: Amgen Tour / Peter Petty
- Insight: Political Junkie Goes West / Tour of California: FolsomTT / NorCal AIDS Cycle / "Orlando"
- Insight: Capitol Chat / Caregiver Support Groups / In The Flow Festival / Sound Advice
- Insight: Marcos Breton / Amgen: Alison Powers / "The Dhance" / Konstantin Soukhovetski
- Insight: Kidnapped Nigerian Girls / News Network / Adult Day Programs / Catriona McPherson
- Insight: Anniversary Of Stockton School Shooting / Water 4.0 / Pauline Frommer / Sound Advice
- Insight: Flu Update / 50th Anniversary of the "War On Poverty" / Cap Chat / Operation Sierra Storm