2021 Contest Theme:
Consider All Things
In early February, NPR’s longest-standing news show, “All Things Considered” received a critique from 8-year-old dino-lover Leo Shilda. In a short letter composed at the encouragement of his mother, Leo expressed his dissatisfaction with the program’s news-only focus, which excluded cooler things like dinosaurs.
While it’s true the term “senator” has appeared more than 20 thousand times over the program's 50-year span, in comparison to “dinosaur,” which has shown up 294 times, all of public media endeavors to help us explore new ideas, expand our cultural awareness and recognize diverse perspectives.
So, this year we’re asking you to show us what home, community or world looks like when we consider all things.
Maybe you should call your show Newsy Things Considered, since I don't get to hear about all the things. Or please talk more about dinosaurs and cool things.
What happens when we consider all things? In media, in our communities, in our relationships — what happens when we are considered, when we are heard and when we are represented? CapRadio invites you to show us what life looks like when we consider all things.
Express this theme through any 2D visual medium (drawing, painting, design) of your choice. Original works required.
Must be of age 13 years and above. Winning designs culminate into a 12-month calendar offered in the fall. (12 winners to be selected).
Judge’s Choice: Honorarium of $600
One winner selected by judging committee
People’s Choice: Honorarium of $300
One winner selected by public vote
Gallery Choice: Honorarium of $100
10 winners selected by CapRadio committee
But what about dinosaurs‽ We invite any young person under the age of 12 to add their creative flair when submitting their depiction of California’s state dinosaur, the Augustynolophus.
The winning design of the California state dinosaur will be adapted onto a very cool bandana offered during CapRadio’s fall fund drive.
Prize: $100 gift card
One winner selected by CapRadio committee
- Art Submissions: July 6 – September 6, 2021
- Public Voting: September 10 – 19, 2021
- Artist Notification: September 20 – 24, 2021
- Winners Announced: October 8, 2021
- Celebration Event: (Fall TBD)
- Honorarium: Winning artists receive the aforementioned financial gift as recognition for time put forth to create an original piece of work.
- Recognition: CapRadio is Northern California’s NPR-member station. Through broadcast, streaming, podcasts, digital communities, live experiences and more, we provide a trusted source of information and entertainment while strengthening the civic and cultural life of the communities we serve. Print Radio is promoted on our broadcast and digital platforms that reach more than 500,000 people each week. Winners will be recognized in communications to our members, on the Print Radio dedicated webpage, in social media and in the physical calendar with an artist biography accompanying each art piece.
- Impact: CapRadio is committed to supporting arts and culture in the region by investing in and promoting local artists through our Print Radio competition. We also partner with arts organizations to help strengthen and create a more thriving community that we can all embrace and enjoy. With your involvement, we hope to continue growing our annual art competition and giving back even more to the community each year.
Contest Requirements And Details
- Submissions for either contest tier (General or Junior) are due by 11:59 p.m. PDT on Monday, September 6, 2021.
- Junior tier submissions must be submitted with adult consent (via submission form).
- Artists must reside or work within our coverage area.
- Each artist may submit one (1) original artworks/designs per appropriate tier. Artwork/designs may be created in any medium (e.g., drawing, painting, digital art), however submissions must be in a digital, print-ready format.
- Size: 22"W x 17"H with .25" bleeds (final size: 22.5"W x 17.5"H)
- Resolution: 300dpi
- Format: PDF or JPEG and color mode set to CMYK
- Each file must be labeled as follows: firstname_lastname_title
- e.g.: Jane_Doe_Joyful.jpg
- The title provided as your file name will be the one promoted if selected as winner. Please submit accordingly.
- Submissions should not break any legal restrictions (proprietary/copyright infringement) and should be appropriate for all ages and communities (is not sexual, violent or discriminatory in nature).
- Submissions not adhering to all above requirements may be disqualified.
- Selected artists will be notified in late September and asked for supplemental bio content for calendar insertion.
For questions, email [email protected].