The man accused of taking the gun of a Sacramento Sheriff's deputy and shooting him in the face has made his first appearance in court Friday.
Nicory Spann faces charges of attempted murder of a police officer and discharging a firearm.
He's accused of shooting Sacramento Sheriff's Deputy Alex Ladwig in the face at a Regional Transit station in north Sacramento earlier this week.
Spann told the court he did not have the money to hire an attorney and spoke briefly with attorney, Jennifer Mouzis. She was appointed for him by the Sacramento County Public Defender's Office.
After the hearing Mouzis voiced a concern that her client has already been convicted in the court of public opinion.
"I'm going to ask the public to do something very difficult and that is to reserve judgment unless there is proof of these charges," she said.
Deputy District Attorney Rod Norgaard declined comment.
The Sheriff's Department says Deputy Ladwig has already had multiple surgeries and is scheduled to have at least one more. He is not expected to be released for "several more days."
Spann is due back in court July 21st for a settlement conference and further proceedings.
Spann did not appear in a morning restraining-order proceeding that had been scheduled for weeks.
A Galt father filed a request in early June for the order citing altercations he and his children have had with Spann in the past six weeks.
Judge Raoul Thorbourne did not issue the order, telling the father that he was not worried Spann would be out of custody anytime soon.
CapRadio provides a trusted source of news because of you. As a nonprofit organization, donations from people like you sustain the journalism that allows us to discover stories that are important to our audience. If you believe in what we do and support our mission, please donate today.