A suspect is in custody after making school shooting threats on social media, which prompted a lockdown at Jesuit and Rio Americano high schools on Tuesday.
Sacramento County sheriff's deputies say they responded to a call from Jesuit around noon due to concerns over the post, which indicated an active shooter situation.
After locking down both campuses, a male juvenile suspect was taken into custody at a school in Elk Grove.
Sgt. Tess Deterding says it’s unclear whether the suspect intended to carry out the threats. “All of that will develop as detectives are able to speak to that individual, understand their history and hopefully come to some type of understanding,” she said.
Two other schools, Del Dayo Elementary School and El Camino Continuation High School, were given shelter-in-place orders.
Deterding says it does not appear the incident has any connection to racist threats made against students at Rio Americano last week.
CapRadio provides a trusted source of news because of you. As a nonprofit organization, donations from people like you sustain the journalism that allows us to discover stories that are important to our audience. If you believe in what we do and support our mission, please donate today.