Morning Edition Anchor
Posted: March 28, 2023
End Date: Open Until Filled
North State Public Radio (NSPR) is the number one broadcast station in Chico, CA. Each day, in partnership with CapRadio, NSPR enriches and informs the communities they serve by providing the highest quality news, information, and cultural programming in Northern California!
As a Morning Edition Anchor, you will help listeners wake up each morning, guiding them to start their day informed. Typical tasks include hosting the weekday morning news shift, operating the studio board while anchoring, and producing news content.
We’re looking for someone who has a passion for working on-the-air and can cultivate enjoyment and relatability around news and stories daily!
If this sounds like you, then you should apply for to be NSPR’s Morning Edition Anchor
We’re focused on building a diverse and inclusive organization and it takes all kinds of people so if you’re excited about this role but don't meet all of the qualifications listed below, we encourage you to apply.
- Operate the board during morning drive shift and manage the details of flawless execution of news programming.
- Write, edit and deliver newscasts and weather forecast.
- Research, conduct, record and edit interviews with newsmakers and journalists.
- Produce daily news content for local radio, on-demand daily news roundup, digital and all platforms.
- Deliver news and anchor special coverage as needed
- Work with content team to develop regular segments and special projects, including election coverage and occasional multi-part series
- Monitor emergency alerts and deliver information as needed.
- Deliver the news and anchor coverage on NPR app and other on-demand broadcast products
- Participate in on-air fundraising and other fundraising activities
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or in a related field, or minimum 3 years of equivalent work experience
- Excellent writing and editing skills, and good news judgment.
- Audio editing and production skills in ADOBE Audition or another similar program
- Strong team player able to collaborate effectively with diverse groups across race, gender, class, age, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and multi-task in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Position is based in Chico, but travel may be required
- Position requires early morning start time (may start as early as 4 am if required)
- California driver’s license and evidence of insurability
This role is deemed essential and requires an on-site presence. You must be able to commute to our Chico, CA office.
We have a mandatory vaccination policy for Covid-19. Reasonable accommodation is available for those with a medical condition, disability, or religious belief that prevents them from being vaccinated.
The compensation for this role is $24.52-$28.36 per hour
We also offer:
- Competitive medical, dental, vision, chiropractic, and acupuncture insurance
- Retirement plan with employer matching
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Vacation
- Paid Sick Leave
Please upload your resume, cover letter, and links to three works samples. Two work samples should include a radio story you have voiced or a newscast you have anchored. The third sample may be a written story.
If you have prior radio experience, your audio samples should include links or .mp3 of published radio stories or of anchoring news segments from your previous job(s). If you don’t have radio experience, make a recording as you imagine yourself on the air reading a news segment. Record 2 to 3 mock news segments (under one minute) on your phone or on a digital device and include the audio file with your materials. You can read part of the rundown from our news podcast headlines for this exercise. Samples should be :30 – 1:00 min.
You can address your letter to the hiring manager for this position, Adia White, Senior News Editor. If you have any inquiries or trouble submitting your application materials to the link, please contact us at [email protected]
Attn: Human Resources
7055 Folsom Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95826
Capital Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer.