CapRadio health care reporter Sammy Caiola has embarked on a six-month project to explore the high rates of suicide in Northern California’s rural communities.
As she delves into the reasons behind this mental health crisis, and how one county is trying to tackle it, here’s a snapshot of what she’s reading on the topic.
- CDC: U.S. Suicide Rates Have Climbed Dramatically
- Why Is The Risk Of Youth Suicide Higher In Rural Areas?
- The Forces Driving Middle-Aged White People's 'Deaths Of Despair'
- For Young People In Rural Areas, Suicide Poses A Growing Threat
- At My Darkest Moment, I Reached Out For Help And Chose To Live
- California Native: Suicide Prevention
- Suicides Have Increased By More Than 30% Since 1999 In Half The States, CDC Says
- Rural Areas Have The Highest Suicide Rates And Fewest Mental Health Workers