We Get Support From:
Become a Supporter 
 We Get Support From:
Become a Supporter 

New Proposal To Help Poverty Problems For City's Children

Bob Moffitt / Capital Public Radio

Bob Moffitt / Capital Public Radio

A city councilman is introducing a proposal at City Hall to provide money for children’s programs that will help alleviate poverty problems facing three out of every ten children living in the city of Sacramento.

City Councilman Jay Schenirer has proposed the creation of a Department of Youth to address children’s issues and a $3 million Sacramento Children’s Fund to pay for programs —an amount that would double the City’s current spends.

“What we’re looking at is from the general fund, but an amount that would be similar to what the City takes in on taxes in the cultivation and manufacturing of cannabis,” Schenirer says.

He also says that education, leadership and violence-prevention programs would be among the services to be offered.

In addition, 15 percent of the program would go to administration and evaluation, while the City and non-profit organizations would split the remaining 85 percent.

Schenirer’s proposal will be on the agenda for Tuesday’s Law and Legislation Committee meeting.

In June, voters rejected Measure Y, which would have increased medical marijuana taxes to fund children’s programs.

That measure fell just shy of the super majority required to pass.

Bob Moffitt

Sacramento Region Reporter

Bob reports on all things northern California and Nevada. His coverage of police technology, local athletes, and the environment has won a regional Associated Press and several Edward R. Murrow awards.   Read Full Bio 

Sign up for ReCap

and never miss the top stories

Delivered to your inbox every Wednesday.

Check out a sample ReCap newsletter.