We Get Support From:
Become a Supporter 
 We Get Support From:
Become a Supporter 

Student Who Brought Pellet-Style Guns To Natomas School Can Return To Class

Andrew Nixon / Capital Public Radio
 

Andrew Nixon / Capital Public Radio

A student who brought a pair of pellet-style handguns to Heron School in the Natomas School District this spring will be allowed to return to class for now.

The Sacramento County Superior Court on Friday denied a request by the district to keep the boy from returning to the K-8 campus.

The district says the student brought the guns onto the campus, “dry fired” one without any loaded pellets, and “wanted other students to think he had a real gun” in March of this year.  The district’s decision to expel him for these actions was overturned by the Sacramento County Office of Education in July.

Last week the district sent a letter to parents saying it was concerned about safety if the student was allowed back.

The SCOE says it's pleased with today's ruling and believes the Natomas District has been presenting misleading facts and attempting to incite fear and unrest.

"The Court denied NUSD’s request for a stay and now will consider the full record of the case before issuing a final ruling," the SCOE said in a statement. "We believe that when all the facts of this case are considered, the court will find that the County Board’s decision is appropriate and correct."

The district says it's surprised by the characterization and will move forward with the court process to uphold its original expulsion.

"We simply communicated the facts on an issue that was already being discussed in the Heron community by students and families," the district said in a statement. "To ignore and not address their concerns would be irresponsible and in direct conflict with our commitment to open, transparent communication with our families."

Sign up for ReCap

and never miss the top stories

Delivered to your inbox every Wednesday.

Check out a sample ReCap newsletter.