Updated Monday, July 30, 9:02 p.m.
Head here for the latest information on the Carr Fire, as well as for a full list of evacuation information.
(AP) — A fire official says the Carr Fire is now the ninth most destructive in California history.
Cal Fire spokesman Scott McLean says the blaze rampaging in the area of Redding has destroyed 818 homes and 311 outbuildings. Another 165 homes have been damaged by the fire, which also killed two firefighters and four civilians.
More than 27,000 people remain evacuated because of the blaze, which has burned for more than a week. The huge blaze has now burned 103,772 acres and is 23 percent contained.
Still, another 10,000 people were allowed to return home today as fire crews managed to reinforce some containment lines.
Cal Fire has been tweeting out lists of the areas where evacuation orders have been pulled back:
Authorities arrested two people Sunday on suspicion of looting homes that had been evacuated in the fire.
The Sacramento Bee reports that 25-year-old Jade Ball and 19-year-old Jack Fannin, of Redding, were found with what police said was evidence tying them to several burglaries.
Authorities say a homeowner who stayed behind flagged down an officer after he noticed evidence that people had been in his house.
Officers found a nearby home with evidence of a broken-in door and discovered electronic items stacked by the front door. Police say they do not believe the homeowners placed the items like that before evacuating.
The fire slowed down somewhat Sunday night, giving fire officials hope that they could start to get some control over the blaze, which has left six dead so far, including a woman and her two great-grandchildren.
The husband and great-grandfather of the victims said he did not receive any warning to evacuate.
Ed Bledsoe told CBS News he did not know his home was in danger when he left his wife, Melody, and the 4- and 5-year-old children to run an errand on Thursday.
Bledsoe said he received a phone call from his wife 15 minutes later saying he needed to get home because the fire was approaching. He said one of the children told him the blaze was at the back door. When he tried to return, the road was blocked with cars, and flames prevented him from returning on foot.
Shasta County Sheriff Tom Bosenko told the network there's an investigation into whether the Bledsoe home received a warning call or a knock on the home's door. The sheriff says there is evidence that door-to-door notifications were made in the area.
Authorities were also investigating at least 18 missing-persons reports, though many of them may simply be people who have not checked in with friends or family, police said.
Some of the 38,000 people forced to evacuate said they were frustrated because they didn't know whether their homes were standing or were destroyed. Authorities had not reopened any evacuated neighborhoods where fires raged due to safety and ongoing investigations and urged people to be patient.
Fed up, on Sunday morning Tim Bollman hiked 4 miles to check on the Redding home he built for his wife and two sons 13 years ago. He found rubble.
"There's not even anything to pick up," he said. "It's completely gone."
Here is a list of the evacuation centers open for those affected by the Carr Fire:
- Shasta College
11555 Old Oregon Trail, Redding
- Simpson University
2211 College View Drive, Redding
- Cross Point Community Church
2960 Hartnell Ave, Redding
- Trinity High School
321 Victory Lane Weaverville, CA 96093
- Foothill High School
9773 Deschutes Road Palo Cedro, CA 96003