We Get Support From:
Become a Supporter 
 We Get Support From:
Become a Supporter 

Six-Day Search In Adirondacks Ends; Man Safe In Sacramento

New York State Police

New York State Police

It's still not clear how a 49-year-old skier whose disappearance sparked a massive search on a snowy Adirondack mountainside in upstate New York showed up nearly a week later in Sacramento. Toronto Fire Captain Danny Filippidis is heading back today to the Lake Placid area to be interviewed.

Filippidis was still in his ski clothes and had his helmet and goggles when found at Sacramento International Airport Tuesday. He believes he suffered a head injury while skiing, rode in a big rig and slept a lot. He got a haircut in downtown Sacramento and bought an iPhone along the way to Sacramento...but doesn't know where.

He used the phone to call his wife and she told him to call 911. New York State Police Commander John Tibbits says he knows many are questioning Filippidis' story.

"He's telling us that he really doesn't have a clear picture of anything that has happened in the last six days, we haven't answered him and I got no reason to disbelieve him at this time," Tibbits said. 

Tibbits asked the media today to push out a picture of Filippidis in hopes someone remembers seeing him as he traveled from New York to Sacramento. 

Filippidis was on an annual ski trip with fellow Toronto firefighters when he went missing last Wednesday. His disappearance prompted a huge search that involved at least 140 people a day who braved brutal winter weather. 


(AP) — A Toronto firefighter who was the subject of a massive six-day search involving eight government agencies at an Adirondack ski center has been located safe and sound — in California.

Authorities launched a search for 49-year-old skier Constantinos "Danny" Filippidis on Whiteface Mountain last Wednesday afternoon after his companions reported him missing. State police said Tuesday the search was called off when Filippidis contacted local authorities in Sacramento, California.

Officials say more than 140 people spent a combined 7,000 hours searching the rugged mountain terrain, calling in helicopters and search dogs to assist.

Filippidis was part of a group of Toronto firefighters making their annual ski trip to Whiteface. Police say the circumstances of the case are under investigation.

Drew Sandsor

Senior Producer, News

As Senior Producer of News, Drew works with reporters and anchors on the daily production and presentation of news stories on Capital Public Radio. He also works closely with the station's digital team on news coverage across various online platforms  Read Full Bio 

Sign up for ReCap

and never miss the top stories

Delivered to your inbox every Wednesday.

Check out a sample ReCap newsletter.