"Cultural Districts are communities within the state that have a high concentration of cultural assets, meaning cultural heritage, cultural arts, artists living and working, there's a lot of activity and momentum, support and vision for those activities within these communities," says Caitlin Fitzwater with the California Arts Council.
She says each district will get technical assistance, branding materials and promotional strategy for a period of five years.
"We're very proud to also be partnering with Visit California," says Fitzwater. "We'll be using their resources and platforms and strategies to make sure that the tourism industry and the many visitors to the state of California are aware of these districts as well."
But encouraging tourism and local investment is just part of the program.
"The main goal," Fitzwater explains, "is to foster continued support and celebration of creativity and the arts and diversity in these communities."
Grass Valley and Nevada City are home to the Nevada Theatre and more than 100 arts-related organizations producing about a thousand events a year like street fairs and art walks.
And over the years Truckee has grown a vibrant artistic community which has birthed over a dozen art galleries and exhibit spaces, created continuous year-round artistic and cultural events and inspired public art pieces throughout town.
Here's the full list of Cultural Districts:
• Balboa Park Cultural District, San Diego - San Diego Region
• Barrio Logan Cultural District, San Diego - San Diego Region
• The BLVD Cultural District, Lancaster – Desert Region
• The Calle 24 Latino Cultural District, San Francisco – San Francisco Bay Area Region
• Downtown San Rafael Arts District, San Rafael - San Francisco Bay Area Region
• Eureka Cultural Arts District, Eureka - North Coast Region
• Grass Valley-Nevada City Cultural District, Grass Valley/Nevada City - Gold Country Region
• Little Tokyo, Los Angeles – Los Angeles Region
• Oceanside Cultural District, Oceanside – San Diego Region
• Redding Cultural District, Redding – Shasta Cascade Region
• Rotten City-Emeryville Cultural Arts District, Emeryville - San Francisco Bay Area Region
• San Pedro Waterfront Arts, Cultural & Entertainment District, San Pedro – Los Angeles Region
• SOMA Pilipinas – Filipino Cultural Heritage District, San Francisco – San Francisco Bay Area Region
• Truckee Cultural District, Truckee – High Sierra Region