We Get Support From:
Become a Supporter 
 We Get Support From:
Become a Supporter 

Navy Lifts Lockdown Orders At Med Center, No Sign Of Gunman Found

2 p.m. (AP) - The Navy has ended its lockdown of the Naval Medical Center San Diego after finding no sign of a gunman or a shooting.

The sprawling campus of one of the military's largest medical facilities was locked down for nearly six hours after a Department of Defense employee reported hearing at least three gunshots in Building 26 shortly before 8 a.m.

But military police found no gunman or signs of a shooting after sweeping the building, which houses administrative offices, a gymnasium and a dormitory for wounded combat veterans in long-term care. Officials say as many as 800 people are in the building on any given day. The building will remain closed Tuesday while the investigation continues.

10:35 a.m.:(AP) - The Navy says an initial inspection at Naval Medical Center San Diego found no sign of a gunman or a shooting.

Navy spokesman N. Scott Sutherland said Tuesday that military police had checked Building 26 after a person reported hearing three shots in the basement earlier in the day.

The base remained on lockdown as authorities went from room to room and led personnel out of the facility.

School officials say a lockdown has ended and instruction has resumed at three schools near the medical center.

In addition, TV images showed uniformed Navy personnel walking outside the medical facility. Their hands were in the air and they were being patted down by base police as a precaution.

The Navy hospital previously said on its Facebook page that an active shooter was reported and people were told to run, hide or fight.


**!ATTENTION!** An active shooter has just been been reported in building #26 at Naval Medical Center San Diego. All...

Posted by Naval Medical Center San Diego (NMCSD) on Tuesday, January 26, 2016