Update 4:00 p.m.
(AP) - Northern California police say a suspect in five homicides this weekend also killed a toddler left in his care last year.
Modesto Police Chief Galen Carroll says a pathologist concluded on Thursday that 2-year-old Christopher Ripley died of head injuries on Oct. 2, 2014.
A warrant was issued for Martin "Marty" Martinez Saturday evening. Earlier on Saturday, two women and three young girls were found slain in a Modesto home. The victims included 38-year-old Amanda Crews and the six-month-old daughter she had with Martinez.
Martinez is also a suspect in those deaths. He was arrested early Sunday morning as he left a San Jose movie theater with his father.
(AP) - Authorities in the California city where two women and three young girls were found slain over the weekend say investigators are also looking into last year's death of the 2-year-old son of one of the victims.
The toddler died in Children's Hospital in Modesto, California, in October. The Stanislaus County coroner said the cause of death is still under investigation. The coroner and the Modesto Police are investigating the boy's death.
The boy's mother, sister, half-sister and two other females were found dead Saturday afternoon in a Modesto home.
Police arrested Martin Martinez, the former boyfriend of the boy's mother, on suspicion of homicide Sunday in San Jose.