(AP) -- Hundreds of new evacuation orders have been issued in the Southern California city of San Marcos where a wildfire continues to burn out of control.
San Diego County officials said Thursday that the blaze had chewed through 700 acres and hundreds of notices were sent out to residents.
KPBS: Wildfire Coverage
KPCC: Fire Tracker
The fire is one of nine fires that broke out in San Diego on Wednesday amid a heat wave and gusty winds.
Officials say one of the most-damaging blazes so far in neighboring Carlsbad was 60 percent contained and evacuation orders were being lifted there.
Carlsbad Mayor Matt Hall says the fire burned 400 acres and destroyed a 18-unit condominium complex and four single-family homes.
Gov. Jerry Brown has declared a state of emergency in the county. According to the Governor's Office of Emergency Services, the state was also able to secure a Fire Management Assistance Grant from the Federal Emergency Management Agency. This allows:
"Local, state and tribal agencies responding to the fire at the request of incident commanders to apply for a 75-percent reimbursement of costs related to mobilization, demobilization, travel and labor. Equipment and supply use, administrative activities and other fire-related costs are also eligible for reimbursement."