We Get Support From:
Become a Supporter 
 We Get Support From:
Become a Supporter 

Bill Could Allow Liens on Property of Employers Owing Back Pay

A recent UCLA study shows that more than 80 percent of California workers who are owed back wages never recover them, even after a court order. 

Backers of the bill say overtime, minimum wage and meal break violations are a big drain on the state’s low wage workers, many of whom are immigrants who don’t know their rights. Assembly member Bonnie Lowenthal is the bill’s author.

“This bill says if you’re paying your employees less than the minimum wage, or not paying them for all the hours they work, or violating overtime requirements, the employer will be held accountable," she says.

The UCLA study estimates that low-wage workers in Los Angeles County alone lose about 12 percent of their yearly income to wage theft. That amounts to one billion dollars in annual lost wages.

“This is an opportunity to help bring up the status of a class of workers that are often ignored," says Lowenthal.

Opponents of the bill say it could tie up employers’ property over minor wage disputes and make it harder for them to do business.

The bill is scheduled for a vote in the Assembly Appropriations committee this week.

Capitol Coverage

• Neil Kremer, flickr

Brown Says Transportation Deal Will Get Done

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Governor Jerry Brown says it’s obvious California’s crumbling roads must be repaired. Today he said he and the Legislature would come up with a plan. But he’s not sure what that plan will be.

• Katie Orr, Capital Public Radio

Renewed Effort To Pass Right-To-Die Legislation

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

The stage has been set for more emotional debate surrounding physician-assisted suicide in California. Democratic lawmakers announced today they’ve reintroduced a bill that would allow the practice in the state.

• Katie Orr, Capital Public Radio

Flat Managed Care Tax Proposed

Monday, August 17, 2015

California is under orders to change the way it funds Medi-Cal. Lawmakers are considering the issue in a special Legislative session and a new proposal was announced Monday.

capitol

Max Pringle

State Government Reporter

Max covers the state capital, bringing more than a decade of experience in print and public radio, including reporting for KPFA, KQED and KALW. He traces his news roots to working on his his high school newspaper.   Read Full Bio