Weekend and Fill-in Host, News and Modern Music
The Mod Eclectic blog
A running review of local artists, modern pop music and culture from Capital Public Radio.
Modern Music Director Nick Brunner spoke with I Am Strikes (aka Kelly Rosenthal) to talk about her musical inclinations as a child learning songs on a one-string ukulele, and why being yourself as an artist and a person is so important.
Best Move just recently released their new five-song EP Mirror Image Twins on May 7. Back in February, Modern Music Director Nick Brunner sat down with two-thirds of the Sacramento-based trio, Kris Anaya and Joseph Davancens.
Interview: Seth Meyers Guitarist Marnie Stern On Playing In A Pandemic And Her Love Of Sacramento Pizza
October 9, 2020 | Nick Brunner
The house guitarist for Late Night With Seth Meyers traces 10 years of steps back to Sacramento.
August 4, 2020
This year's Tiny Desk Contest was truly like no other. Our winner stood out from the over 6,000 entries with a song about slowing down and enjoying life that captivated our judges.
July 24, 2020
Garage rockers Th’ Losin Streaks' debut the a new animated music video and a conversation with Tim Foster, leader of th’ long running band.
June 23, 2020
K-ZAP radio is celebrating five years on the radio and will host a free virtual video concert fundraiser. We talk about it and more today with CapRadio K-ZAP host Dennis Newhall.
June 10, 2020
We're updating a list of live musical performances from around the world, categorized by date and genre.
May 28, 2020 | Nick Brunner
Modern Music Director Nick Brunner gathered a panel of Sacramento music fans to highlight their favorite local Tiny Desk Contestants. Full bands to duos, hip-hop to classical, here are a few groups to enjoy while you're at least six feet apart.
Asst. Program Director, Modern Music Director
- David Bald Eagle, Lakota Chief, Musician, Cowboy And Actor, Dies At 97
- First Watch: Hannah Gill & The Hours, 'Austin'
- Remembering Punk Pioneer Alan Vega
- July 12, 1979: 'The Night Disco Died' — Or Didn't
- Spice Girls 'Wannabe' Wants To Be An Anthem For Girl Power
- Lock Screen: At These Music Shows, Phones Go In A Pouch And Don't Come Out
- Your Favorite New Musicians Of 2016 (So Far)
- In 'Porcelain,' Moby Searches For Validation And Finds Unlikely Success
- Anohni's 'Hopelessness' And The Power Of Speaking Out
- On Corinne Bailey Rae's New Album, A Focus On Renewal
- 11 Very Different Opinions About The New Radiohead Album
- Radiohead Announces New Album, Hear Another New Song
- Deftones' Chino Moreno On Surviving, Evolving And 'Gore'
- Hear 'Burn The Witch,' A New Radiohead Song
- Everybody Has A Prince Story (Or Should). Here Are Ours
- Beth Ruyak Remembers Growing Up In Minneapolis During The Rise Of Prince
- New Music From Foxtails Brigade Band
- On Andrew Bird's Latest, Real Life Takes The Reins
- A D.C. Rapper's Love Song To A Gentrifying Hometown
- On 'Junk,' M83's Anthony Gonzalez Reconnects With His Past
- On Ronnie Spector's New Album, Don't Let Her Be Misunderstood
- Gay Glam Comes To HBO Is Vinyl's new character, Xavier, a Jobriath clone?
- Electronic Experimental Band Genre Peak Releases Most Involved Album Yet
- Phife Dawg, A Founding Member of A Tribe Called Quest, Dies At 45
- 'Tell The Wolves' Discuss New EP, Influences And Growing Up In Sacramento
- Poor Lonely Computer: Prince's Misunderstood Relationship With The Internet
- All Songs +1: Iggy Pop & Josh Homme Talk 'Post Pop Depression
- Andrew Castro Performs Live With Sandra Dolores
- And The Winner Of The 2016 Tiny Desk Contest Is...
- #FreeKesha Puts A Legal Battle In A Public Spotlight
- Folk Singer Rebecca Peters In Studio
- Joshua Davis From 'The Voice' on Insight
- Theft And Artistry: Coldplay, Beyoncé In India Spark Discussion On Appropriation
- Earth, Wind & Fire Founder Maurice White Dead At 74
- Lady Gaga To Sing National Anthem At Super Bowl
- John Peel's American Connection
- Behind The Music: Bernie Sanders
- 'Adore Life' Refines Savages' Quiet Moments And Thunderous Peaks
- As 'X-Files' Returns, Meet The Man Behind The Theme Song
- What Happens When You Get Sir Mix-A-Lot's Phone Number
- Dancing In The Street: New Orleans Throws A Memorial Parade For David Bowie
- Eagles: Band Founder Glenn Frey Has Passed Away
- Bones And Grooves: The Weird Secret History Of Soviet X-Ray Music
- Reflections Of A Bowie Girl
- Submit Your Video To The 2016 Tiny Desk Contest Now
- Bowie's Influence Reaches Well Beyond Music For Sacramento Area Creatives
- David Bowie, An Icon Who Wrote Anthems For The Alienated
- Rock Icon David Bowie Dead At 69
- Kendrick Lamar: 'I Can't Change The World Until I Change Myself First'
- A Year Of In-Studio Performances - 2015
- Rock Icon Lemmy Of Motörhead Dies At Age 70
- CapRadio Music’s Most Read Stories Of 2015
- A Rational Conversation: Passing Judgment On Music In 2015 With So Sad Today
- TBD Fest Faces Financial Troubles - Founder Being Sued For Non-Payment
- A Rational Conversation: Jack White's Third Man Records Returns To Detroit
- Being Aaron Burr: Leslie Odom Jr.'s Star-Making Year In 'Hamilton'
- NPR Music's 10 Favorite Electronic Albums Of 2015
- Singer Scott Weiland Dies On Tour At Age 48
- Assorted Holiday Shows In Sacramento Area Offer Something For Everyone
- Chino Moreno Reflects On Nearly Three Decades Of Deftones
- The Making Of The New Sea Of Bees Album: Time, Thought And Tinkering
- The Life And Death Of Tower Records, Revisited
- As China Cracks Down On Cultural Fringe, Indie Rock Finds A Home In Beijing
- Interludes: Fall 2015
- Sacramento Celebrates Evolving Art Of The Concert Poster
- Chrissie Hynde: 'I'm Just Telling My Story'
- 'Modern Girl' Carrie Brownstein Describes Finding (And Hiding) Herself In Music
- If The Floor's A-Rockin', Just Keep A-Bouncin'
- No Blank Space, Baby: Taylor Swift Is The Soul Of Ryan Adams
- Day One TBD Fest 2015 Photo Essay - Tyler, The Creator, Glitch Mob, Cathedrals
- CapRadio Music Presents: Cathedrals, Live At The Hive
- TBD Fest Officials Address Complaints From Last Year
- Win Tickets To TBD Fest 2015
- Get To Know: Nick Waterhouse
- Desert Music: Burning Man Confronts The Rising Beat
- After A Harrowing Bus Accident, Twin Shadow Is Back In The Saddle
- Song Premiere: The Oh Hellos, 'Bitter Water'
- TBD Fest Preview: Look And Listen With These PubRadio Performance Videos
- City Of Trees: A Day Of Great Music And A Night Of Traffic Headaches
- Epic Rap Battles Of History To Play Out On Harlow’s Stage
- Artist Interview: John Hofer Reflects On 18 Years Of Drumming With The Mother Hips
- City Of Trees Festival Lineup Via Public Radio Videos
- TASK1ne Breaks Silence On His Plagiarism
- The Dreaded Diamond Writes And Records Sophomore Album In A Month
- In Iraq, A Kurdish Warrior-Diva Sings Against ISIS, Despite Threats
- Rocky Dawuni Spreads Message Of Unity And Hope, On Stage And Off
- Goodbye, Music Tuesday: Starting Today, Albums Come Out On Friday
- Sacramento's Dark Ambient Indie-Rockers, Ghostplay, Release Debut EP
- The Grateful Dead's Laid-Back, Yet Surprisingly Shrewd, Business Plan
- Sister Crayon Releases Video To Coincide With SCOTUS Ruling
- Sacramento Music Community Rallies Around Stabbing Victims With Benefit Shows
- 'Lester, You Changed Our Lives': Channeling Bangs In 'How To Be a Rock Critic'
- Davis Music Fest Preview: From The CapRadio Archives
- Sacramento Songwriter, I Am Strikes, Releases New Album And Processes Pain Through Music
- Kate Tempest: 'When You're Writing, It's Not About You'
- How Streaming Is Changing Music
- Viking's Choice: mewithoutYou, 'D-Minor'
- Aftershock Festival Announces 2015 Lineup And A Venue Change
- Northern California Music Festival Round-Up 2015
- After 20 Years Of Rocking The Brodys Are Still Having Fun
- Free Summer Concert Series, THIS Midtown, Lineup Announced
- Tears For Fears, Ratatat, Tycho, Purity Ring And More To Perform At TBD Fest 2015
- For The Love Of Vinyl: Vendors Answer Increasing Demand For Records
- The Slants Frontman Fights Government To Register His Band's Name
- Songwriters And Streaming Services Battle Over Decades-Old Decree
- Listen To Pre-Release Of The Kelps' Obsessive New EP
- 3-D Printers Bring Historic Instruments Back To The Future
- Deaf Jam: Experiencing Music Through A Cochlear Implant
- Solving The Vinyl Comeback's Big Problem, One Antique Machine At A Time
- Local Punk Rock Duo, Dog Party, Picked Up By Burger Records
- The Good Listener: Why Do People Hate Nickelback So Much?
- Prominent Local Hip Hop Artist Caught Stealing Lyrics
- The Nearly Lost Story Of Cambodian Rock 'N' Roll
- Back From The Dead Milkmen - Q & A With Dean Sabatino
- Sol Collective: A Home For Young Art And Music Creators
- Bringing Mothers In Prison Closer To Their Children, Through Music
- Vince Vicari: Ready To Launch Into Outer Space
- Concerts In The Park 2015 Offers A Diverse Lineup Of Local And Regional Acts
- Vasas Release New Video Featuring Analog Liquid Light Show
- Sacramento Area Musicians Shine At 23rd Annual SAMMIE Awards Show
- After A Long Hiatus Queercore Band, Butch Vs Femme, Releases New Album
- 2015 SAMMIE Nominees Reflect On The Award And What It Means For The Scene
- CapRadio Music's SXSW 2015 Recap
- Mark Chang - Thereminist, Inventor, Tinkerer, Unicorn Rider, Time Travel Enthusiast
- TBD Austin Kicks Off Four Days And Four Nights Of Music Discovery
- Sacramento Music Well Represented At Official SXSW Showcases
- Sacramento Artists Unveil Co-Op Music Label At SXSW
- Tom Brosseau: A Distinct Voice, Rambling
- The Story Of Sacramento's Tower Records Premieres At South By South West
- Davis Native To Participate In The First LGBT Showcase At SXSW
- Studio 7055: Anton Barbeau & Allyson Seconds
- Sacramento Will Celebrate St. Patrick's Day With Plenty Of Irish Music
- Carley DuHain Has A New Band Name And A New Album
- Memorial Day To Kick Off Sacramento's Music Festival Season
- Tom Brousseau: The Gentle Traveling Troubador's Perfect Abandon
- Interludes - Music Beds on CapRadio News
- Livelies Play First Show And Share A Debut Track From First EP
- Watch Middle School Kids Play A Led Zeppelin Medley ... On Xylophones
- Looking For Your New Favorite Band? These Simple Web Apps Can Help
- Sonic Youth's Kim Gordon On Marriage, Music And Moving On
- Studio 7055: Tiaras - A NorCal 70s Power Pop Powerhouse
- Songs Of Sacramento - Tunes Inspired By Our City
- Lesley Gore, Famous For Her Song 'It's My Party,' Has Died
- The Tiny Desk Concert Contest Winner Is ...
- Stay Hydrated: A "Barricaders" Tips For Getting And Keeping A Spot At The Front Of A Concert
- Sacramento Area Represented In NPR's Tiny Desk Concert Contest
- Radio, Radio: How Formats Shaped, Splintered And Remade Pop Music
- Sam Smith Wins Four Grammy Awards, Including Song Of The Year
- NPR Live-Blogs The Grammy Awards
- Chromatics: Tolouse-Lautrec
- TBD Fest Team To Host Music Showcase Coinciding With South By Southwest Festival
- The Record: Unfinished Business
- Suggested Shows: Lovely Folk Ladies, Irish-Punk, Indie-Rock Duos And Big Brass Fun
- Latitudes: The Global Music You Must Hear In January
- Bjork's 'Vulnicura': An Inquiry Into Melodrama
- Musical Stages: Title Tunes
- Kevin Seconds, Punk As Folk
- No Business Questioning A Thang: Another Death Grips Mystery
- Le Twist Brings In Dream-Pop Group, Haunted Summer
- With Downloads In Decline, Can iTunes Adapt?
- Songs To Sweat To: CapRadio Work-Out Tunes
- 2014 In Review - Five Favorites from Nick Brunner
- Joe Cockers Dies At Age 70 Following A Battle With Lung Cancer
- NPR: Singer Joe Cocker Has Reportedly Died At Age 70
- Bob And Robin's Holiday In Space
- 2014’s Top Five Vintage World Music CDs
- Top 10 CapRadio Music Stories Of 2014
- That Voice You've Been Asking About
- Neutral Milk Hotel's Farewell Tour Brings Band To Sacramento
- Music Stages: She Loves Me
- Soul, R&B Singer Goapele Back In Sacramento Stage
- Electric Christmas Rundown: Reason To Go In Videos
- Mary J. Blige: 'I'm Not Worried, Trying To Keep It Real — I Am Real'
- Anatomy Of A Hit: Kelly Clarkson's 'Since U Been Gone'
- Commerce Vs. Consumption: A Revolutionary Rethink Of Billboard's Album Chart
- Sacramento’s Iconoclast Robot, Combats Preconceived Notions Of Hip-Hop/Rock (Exclusive Track)
- TV On The Radio And The Paradox Of The Midcareer Band
- Wild Ones Bring Amped Atmospheric Dream-Pop To Witch Room Stage
- Del Tha Funkee Homosapian: Symphony And Dystopia From The Year 303
- Musical Stages: Fiddler on the Roof Celebrates 50 Years Of Tradition
- Mariachi El Bronx - A Little Bit Mariachi, A Little Bit Rock 'N' Roll
- Studio 7055: With Warm Electronics And Chill Vocals, Love Inks Creates The Perfect Storm
- The Man Behind The 'Morning Edition' Theme. Also, Lyrics!
- The Good Listener: How Do I Share Music With My Kids? Should I?
- Sacramento Artists Ease The Baggage Claim Blues
- Remembering A Music Scene Staple : Marilyn's On K
- Halloweenheads - Spooky Songs For Your Halloween Playlist
- SunMonks Debut EP, Why'd It Take So Long?
- Rare Early Nirvana Footage Screens At The Crest
- Studio 7055: S
- Best Of Treasure Island Music 2014
- Primus: Music Makers, Dreamer Of Dreams
- Interludes: October - December
- Sleater-Kinney Reunites, Announces New Album
- Outkast And Atlanta: Until They Close The Curtain
- Ukulele Star Jake Shimabukuro Talks About Stripping Down To The Basic Melody
- Marilyn's On K Set To Close November 1
- First Watch: Elisa Ambrogio, 'Superstitious'
- TBD In Review: La Sera
- Crocker Curation: Arte Mexicano
- Crocker Curation: The Provoke Era: Japanese Photography from the Collection of SFMOMA
- David Bazan Combats Writer's Block And Comes To Town With The Passenger String Quartet
- BBC Music Releases Video For Charity : 27 Artists, one Beach Boys Song
- TBD Fest Fashion Round-Up
- Live At The Crocker : TBD Fest Sound Advice
- TBD Fest Site Visit – A Look Behind The Making Of A Music Fest
- Interview With Gift Of Gab: Hip Hop Duo Blackalicious Returns To Sacramento For TBD Fest
- TV On The Radio Releases Geek-tastic New Music Video
- Front Row: Nick Waterhouse, 'Holly'
- Live Concert: Robert Plant And The Sensational Space Shifters At BAM Festival
- Cold Eskimo - New Video, Crocker Sound Advice And TBD Fest
- PRI's The World: A Worldwide Viral Hit Shows A Different Side Of Ukraine
- Joseph In The Well, A Hot New Trio To Keep An Eye On
- The Cave Women Are All About Harmonies And Collaboration
- Crocker Curation: Our America...
- As A Lyricist And Novelist, The Mountain Goats' Lead Man Writes About Pain
- Taiko Drumming Tradition Celebrates 25 Years In Sacramento
- The Good Listener: Do You Ever Just Get Sick Of Music?
- Rock Music Festival Draws Thousands To Sacramento
- The Sacramento Region Is Rich With Festivals This Weekend
- The Re-Education Of Robert Plant
- Author Interview: The Other Rock History
- TBD Fest Three-Day Pass Giveaway
- New Album, New Sound, New Outlook – Exquisite Corps Goes Groovy (Plus An Exclusive First Listen Track)
- Chalk It Up: Musicians And Artists Add Some Color To Fremont Park This Weekende
- Studio 7055: TASK1ne
- Sol Collective's Global Local Festival: Tradition With A Twist
- Studio 7055: Be Calm Honcho
- It’s Just The Beginning: G. Green’s New Album Feels Like The First Time
- The Man Who Was Gene Ween, Back From The Bottom
- Future Islands: Live At Harlow's
- An Incomplete Preview Of Harris Center Shows -- Sept 1 Through Nov 30
- Hear An Exclusive Track Off Saint Solitaire's New EP
- In Stockton Punks Are The New Mall Rats
- Gardens & Villa To Play THIS Is Midtown
- Studio 7055: Two Sheds
- Skills To Pay The Bills: Sacramento Musicians And Their Day Jobs
- New Spoon Album Giveaway: They Want My Soul
- Hot Reggae Nights In Sacramento
- Beatnik Reopens In A New Space: Weddings And Original Art
- 8 Bit Weapon Geeks Out In Sacramento
- Cake Bassist Sets Aside The Four Strings To Lead His Own Band
- 'Purple Rain' Taught Me How To Be In A Band
- Sound Advice: Milne Get Blue Dog Jammy
- Punk's Permutations: John Doe, X And The Next Gen
- Rainbow In The Dark: Jenny Lewis On Staring Down Sadness
- First Watch: The Polyphonic Spree, 'Hold Yourself Up'
- Sacramento Man Directs 'Weird Al' Yankovic Video
- Damian Kulash Of OK Go Talks The Business Of Making On Insight - Transcript
- Los Lonely Boys & Kenny Wayne Shepherd Giveaway
- 'Weird Al' Yankovic On Parody In The Age Of YouTube
- Tommy Ramone, Last Original Member Of The Ramones, Dies At 65
- Perfect Mix: Art And Hip Hop At The Crocker Museum
- Let's Keep THIS Going - July THIS Is Midtown Features French Horn Rebellion And Goldroom
- 4th of July BBQ Mix
- Death Grips' "Break Up" May Be Cause For Skepticism.
- The Lunch Line (Up) - Hot Lunch Concerts For July
- Adrian Bourgeois And Ricky Berger - The Back To Sac Show
- TBD Fest Full Lineup Announced
- Local Band Comes Home With Vans Warped Tour
- The Beatles Chronology, U.S.A., U.K., Yesterday And Today
- The Making Of OK Go's 'The Writing's On The Wall' Video
- Regional Festival Roundup - 2014
- Tiny Desk Concert: Conor Oberst
- The Good Listener: What Makes A Summer Song?
- Alt-J Premieres New Song, Puts Local Cat On Merchandise
- The Guest List: Ngaio Bealum
- Why Is This Last CapRadio Used Record Sale? We have Answers.
- Songwriter Gerry Goffin, With Hits In The 60s And 70s, Dies At 75
- Public School Arts Fundraiser Grows Into Epic Music Festival
- Teen Punk Rockers, Dog Party, Kick-Off Second European Tour
- Wanderlust Music, Yoga And Wine Festival Ticket Giveaway
- The Antlers: Holding A Light To The Darkness Within
- tUnE-yArDs In Concert
- BREAKING: LAUNCH Music Fest Changes Name And Venue
- Concert Series Brings Latin Flavor To Sacramento
- Jack White Live In Concert
- 'THIS Midtown' June Preview: Carousel, Fronds, Cold Eskimo, And More
- How Do We Afford Our Rock'n Roll? : Crowdfunding The Music Scene
- Death Grips + Bjork: A Surprise Record
- Concerts In The Park June 6th: Dance Gavin Dance, Life In 24 Frames, City Of Vain
- Insight Studio Session: Grant-Lee Phillips, From Stockton Vaudeville To Gilmore Girls Troubadour
- DLRN: Neon Noir And The Magic Of The Mix Tape
- Concerts In The Park, May 30, Review - James Cavern & Joy In Madness Celebrate Sacramento's Music Scene
- The Lunch Line (Up) - Hot Lunch Concerts In June
- Upcoming Le Twist Shows - Free Music Tuesdays At LowBrau