The strategy is fairly simple for Frenchman Julian Alaphilippe (Etixx-Quick-step): stay in front of, or right next to, anyone who might muster a challenge to the overall lead.
Alaphilippe did just that on Saturday as some riders engaged in breakaways that netted them King of the Mountain or sprint points, but nothing toward the overall race lead.
Elk Grove's Evan Huffman (Rally) and Slovakian Peter Sagan (Tinkoff) were two riders who greatly increased their leads in those respective categories. Huffman leads the KOM by 13 points and Sagan leads the sprint category by 30.
Both men's leads are over Alaphilippe. South Lake Tahoe/Santa Rosa's Peter Stetina (Trek) is fifth in the KOM standings.
Australian Rohan Dennis (BMC) remains 16 seconds behind the overall lead time as the riders head to Sacramento to finish the race.
Dennis's teammate, North Carolina's Brent Brookwalter is 38 seconds back in third.
New York's Andrew Talansky (Cannondale) finished second in the time trial and is fourth overall, 47 seconds behind.
Nineteen-year-old Roseville native, Neilson Powless (Rally) continues to lead the Best Young Rider category and is fifth overall.
In some years, the final stage of a race is celebrated by the riders and is a laid-back affair -even including some champagne toasts along the route. But, with ten riders within 1:48 of Alaphilippe, the champagne may wait this year until the race is actually over.
In the women's race, Idaho's Kristin Armstrong dropped three seconds via the bonus-points system to overall leader, New York/Mountain View's Megan Guarnier (Boels Dolmans).
Armstrong is 15 seconds back. Guarnier's teammate, Evelyn Stevens of San Francisco/Massachusetts is 25 seconds behind.
Starting Saturday, May 21 at 8a.m. - Ending Monday, May 23 at 12 a.m.
- L Street (10th Street to 13th Street)
- 11th Street (L Street to Kayak Alley)
Starting Saturday, May 21 at 2 p.m. - Ending Monday, May 23 at 12 a.m.
- 10th Street (Capitol Mall to L Street)
Starting Saturday, May 21 at 8 p.m. – Ending Monday, May 23 at 12 a.m.
- 10th Street (L Street to Kayak Alley)
- L Street (9th Street to 10th Street)
Starting Saturday, May 21 at 11p.m. – Ending Monday, May 23 at 12 a.m.
- L Street (13th Street to 15th Street)
Starting Sunday, May 22 at 4 a.m. - Ending Monday, May 23 at 12 a.m.
- Capitol Mall (3rd Street to 9th Street)
- L Street (9th Street to 18th Street)
- 18th Street (Q Street to L Street)
- 11th Street (N Street to O Street)
- 10th Street (Capitol Mall to P Street)
- 12th Street (K Street to L Street)
- 12th Street ( N Street to O Street)
- 15th Street (K Street to Q Street)
- 16th Street (P Street to L Street)
- 9th Street (L Street to N Street)
- N Street (9th Street to 18th Street)
CapRadio provides a trusted source of news because of you. As a nonprofit organization, donations from people like you sustain the journalism that allows us to discover stories that are important to our audience. If you believe in what we do and support our mission, please donate today.