We just had an election, but the City of Sacramento is already planning another.
A City Council seat will be vacant if incumbent Kevin McCarty holds on to win his race for the state assembly.
If McCarty is sworn in December first, the city will go to Council the following week and ask for a special election for the council's sixth district.
City Clerk Shirley Concolino says candidates will have about a month to file paperwork.
"If they're gonna raise money and spend money, then they've gotta open a committee," says Concolino. "There's a $1,000 threshold before they have to start reporting. There's all kinds of those requirements."
The city has set April 7 as the date for the special election.
With McCarty leaving, the City Council's longest-serving member will be Mayor Kevin Johnson.
Important Dates For Special Election:
- 2/09/2015 -Opening of write-in nomination period
- 3/09/2015 - Start of vote-by-mail application period
- 3/23/2015 - Last day to register to vote
- 3/24/2015 - Closing of write-in nomination period
- 3/31/2015 - End of vote-by-mail ballot application period
- 4/07/2015 - Special Election Day
CapRadio provides a trusted source of news because of you. As a nonprofit organization, donations from people like you sustain the journalism that allows us to discover stories that are important to our audience. If you believe in what we do and support our mission, please donate today.