Posted: May 16, 2022
Status: Full-time, Non-Exempt
End Date: Open Until Filled
CapRadio’s Digital Content team oversees content production for our digital platforms, including capradio.org, social media, our ReCap and Coronavirus newsletters and other channels. As part of the Digital team you will help utilize digital tools and platforms to inform, engage and inspire our audiences.
As a Digital Editor, you will manage the capradio.org daily story budget. In coordination with the Managing Editor, you will help lead and facilitate editorial operations, partnering with other editors and reporters throughout the organization to assign and edit stories, video, social media posts and other creative digital content. You will work closely with and be supported by a Managing Editor of Digital, a Data Reporter, an Audience Engagement Editor, a Visual Journalist and Interactive Producers. While each team member specializes in a unique area, team collaboration and shared ownership of ideas and projects ensure we are serving the needs of CapRadio's digital audiences and continuing to innovate on ways to enhance our digital reach and impact in the communities we serve.
That could mean writing and posting stories relating to breaking news moments, collaborating with other reporters to prepare stories for the web, managing our social media channels, staying informed on the latest news and audience trends or pitching and working on your own projects. We're a small team, which means we must wear many hats, however, that also offers the freedom to pitch projects in areas you're excited about. This is a new position for our team and station, and you will help define the role.
We are looking for someone who enjoys keeping up with the news of the day, has sound editorial judgment and established reporting skills. The ideal candidate will be invested in community engagement, local journalism and digital storytelling and someone who loves working as part of a team, collaborating and continuing to seek ways to experiment with ideas that inform and inspire our audiences.
If this sounds like you, then you should apply for CapRadio’s Digital Editor!
We’re focused on building a diverse and inclusive organization and it takes all kinds of people so if you’re excited about this role but don't meet all of the qualifications listed below, we encourage you to apply.
- Maintain the daily digital news budget, working with other editors to assign coverage of key issues and stories
- Edit digital content, including text, photo, video and other formats
- Write, report and produce digital content such as daily newsletters, web articles and social media posts
- Assist with audience engagement and social media initiatives.
- Stay up to date on the latest news and audience trends to identify audience needs in our coverage
- Focus the needs of CapRadio audiences in coverage choices
- Stay informed on current trends in digital media and train staff on new techniques
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or related field preferred, but not required. Related job experience for at least 5 years can substitute.
- Excellent news judgment and a passion for community engagement, local news and digital storytelling
- Excellent project management skills
- Experience with multimedia production, including photo, video and audio
- Text editing and mastery of Associated Press style
- Fluency in HTML/CSS and working in content management systems
- Strong team player able to collaborate effectively with diverse groups across race, gender, class, age, etc.
- Position is based in Sacramento, but travel may be required
- California driver’s license and evidence of insurability
CapRadio has a mandatory vaccination policy for Covid-19. Reasonable accommodation is available for those with a medical condition, disability, or religious belief that prevents them from being vaccinated.
Remote work is temporarily available. During the pandemic this position is hybrid-onsite, with occasional onsite days. Training is offered remotely, and meetings are conducted via video calls.
After the pandemic, this position requires work on-site at our Sacramento office, with the possibility of working from home up to 75% of the time per week.
Salary and Benefits
The compensation for this role is $65,000-$70,000 per year. CapRadio also offers:
- Competitive medical, dental, vision, chiropractic, and acupuncture insurance
- Retirement plan with employer matching
- Paid holidays
- Flexible Vacation
- Two weeks of flexible, accruable paid time-off
- Paid sick leave
- Long-term disability and group life insurance
- Flexible spending plan for health and dependent care
How to Apply
You can address your letter to the hiring manager for this position, Chris Hagan, Managing Editor, Digital. If you have any inquiries or trouble submitting your application materials to the link, please contact us at [email protected].
Attn: Human Resources
7055 Folsom Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95826
Capital Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer.