Front-End Web Developer
Posted: December 30, 2021
Department: Technology/Digital Products
Status: Full-time, Non-Exempt
End Date: Open Until Filled
CapRadio’s Digital Products team is the human-centered creative and functional drive behind our digital offerings. In the realm of “anything that isn’t broadcast,” this team serves our public audience directly, partnering with colleagues—especially content creators and journalists—to meet the audience, where they are.
As the Front-End Web Developer, your primary area of impact will be the flagship website of capradio.org and its content management system. You will also partner with team members and the Digital Content department to create standalone solutions.
Typical tasks include coding markup and styles, optimizing front-end frameworks and references for load time performance and rendering, refactoring existing products for performance optimization, recommending and implementing SEO and accessibility, consuming of APIs for dynamic and interactive content, creating services to post data from internal systems to third-party APIs, closely working with the UX Designer on design systems and patterns and with the Web Developer on data schemas and deployment, participating in planning, and contributing your own ideas for improvements, features, or projects.
We’re looking for someone who is synergistic and passionate about our mission to create experiences for a digital audience and empower our colleagues to leverage forward-thinking products that aim to inform and inspire the communities we serve. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated and comfortable wearing many hats as the exclusive front-end developer on a small and mutually supportive team.
If this sounds like you, then you should apply for CapRadio’s Front-End Web Developer!
We’re focused on building a diverse and inclusive organization and it takes all kinds of people so if you’re excited about this role but don't meet all of the qualifications listed below, we encourage you to apply.
- Determines, configures, and maintains front-end processes and programming, including writing code in scripting languages
- Integrates multiple data sources for a seamless user experience
- Codes for and ensures optimization for performance, accessibility and search indexing
- Consumes third-party and in-house APIs, optimizing interface load times and dynamic presentations of information
- Partners with content creators to build interactive components and micro-site products, evaluating ideas for technical feasibility and offering new ideas based on project goals
- Aligns with Web Developer on recommendations for organizing and structuring data (schema)
- Defines loading architecture of web pages through inherited structures or templates, including minifying or pre-processing scripts
- Ensures that styles and other scripts compile and that other developers can build using the same workflow
- Implements and maintains tracking for analytics systems
- Configures content management and distribution system creating datatypes, macros, doctypes, and templates
- Masters the back-office of the CMS, determining how and which pieces to use in order to provide the functionality needed
- Collaborates with team to build out interfaces and interactions
- Pairs with UX Designer for design system
- Participates in planning meetings from the beginning of an idea, through its launch and evaluation
- Serves in a rotation for responding to support requests from our public audience via email
- Follows team procedures and practices for code production including using and merging code into feature branch structures, submitting pull requests for code assessment and reviewing pull requests for other developers
- Participates in and contributes to team planning discussions and ceremonies including daily stand up, backlog refinement, estimating, sprint planning and other initiatives
- Skill creating web applications or websites
- Experience with a front-end framework
- Ability to consume and render data via API
- Experience in technologies we currently use not required but may be prioritized
- Proven detail-oriented problem solver
- Good written and verbal communication
- Quality oriented in terms of work output
Some technologies we work with:
- Web Services/Web API, AJAX (Consume)
- LESS, Sass, WebPack, Grunt
- XML (XPath 1.0), JSON
- Git with GitHub, Umbraco CMS
- IIS, AWS S3 and EC2, node
CapRadio has a mandatory vaccination policy for Covid-19. Reasonable accommodation is available for those with a medical condition, disability, or religious belief that prevents them from being vaccinated.
Remote work is temporarily available. During the pandemic this position is hybrid-onsite, with occasional onsite days. Training is offered remotely, and meetings are conducted via video calls.
After the pandemic, this position requires you to work on-site from our Sacramento office, with the possibility of working from home up to 90% of the time per week.
Salary and Benefits
The compensation for this role is $70,000 - $80,000 per year. CapRadio also offers:
- Competitive medical, dental, vision, chiropractic, and acupuncture insurance
- Retirement plan with employer matching
- Paid holidays
- Flexible Vacation
- Two weeks of flexible, accruable paid time-off
- Paid sick leave
- Long-term disability and group life insurance
- Flexible spending plan for health and dependent care
How to Apply
Please upload your resume and cover letter.
You can address your letter to the hiring manager for this position, Renee Thompson, Digital Projects Manager. If you have any inquiries or trouble submitting your application materials to the link, please contact us at [email protected].
Attn: Human Resources
7055 Folsom Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95826