Production Assistant & Fill-In News Host
Posted: April 5, 2021
Status: Full Time, Non-Exempt
End Date: Open Until Filled
You’re in the CapRadio control room, your hands poised over our top-of-the-line audio board, with thousands of listeners hanging on the tips of your fingers as you shepherd a live show onto the air.
You fade the music underneath the host who shares the news breaking in our region, followed by an emotional conversation with a community member suffering from COVID-19, and a crucial discussion about, say, when kids should return to school. You toggle between the host and guests while preparing to take the governor live...or to play a piece of tape at juuuuuust the right moment.
Of course, there’s always some unexpected last-minute logistical challenge or technical glitch, but no sweat — you deftly navigate the moment. You’re an indispensable member of a team that just pulled off a live show under deadline pressure. And you love it.
That’s just one scene you might find yourself in during a typical day as CapRadio’s Production Assistant and Fill-In News Host. This exciting opening is part of the CapRadio Production Department, that — along with colleagues in Programming and Operations — forms the backbone of the station.
What else might you do? Well, how about mixing a podcast? Editing a music concert recorded live in the CapRadio Garden? Or writing, voicing, and mixing a catchy promo for a station fund drive or marketing campaign? Some days, you’ll even pick up a live or pre-recorded air shift when our regular hosts are unavailable.
CapRadio is the group of seven NPR News and Music stations based in Sacramento, Calif. — the state capital of the world’s fifth-largest economy.
And even in the face of the pandemic, we’re growing! We’re telling new stories, launching new podcasts, creating new music shows and crafting new events to lead crucial community conversations — none of which can happen without a vibrant Production team that makes our audio sparkle.
So if you love public radio, audio editing, storytelling and letting your creative juices flow, this is the job for you!
We’re focused on building a diverse and inclusive organization and it takes all kinds of people so if you’re excited about this role but don't meet all of the qualifications listed below, we encourage you to apply.
A few notes about this opening:
- The ideal candidate will have at least some experience running a mixing console and editing audio in Adobe Audition or a similar program. It’s okay if that experience isn’t with the most cutting-edge equipment or software; what matters is that you’re familiar with the terrain and have an aptitude to learn quickly.
- We’re especially interested in candidates who can write and produce poignant, ear-catching promo, image and fund drive spots, so strong writing skills and a creative mind will give you an edge too.
- If you’re confident in your skills and experience but concerned that you may not meet every requirement laid out in this job description, that’s OK. We’ll give you the training needed and space to succeed — and fail — and we’ll support you during your first year on the job.
- We encourage BIPOC candidates to apply for this position; you will be supported on our team.
- We’re open to candidates at any and all points in their careers, but the salary is commensurate with what a production team member might earn at or near the beginning of the profession.
- Edits and mixes original content, such as talk shows, podcasts and feature segments, to achieve industry standards in audio quality and technical delivery.
- Writes, edits and/or mixes promo, image and fund drive spots.
- Performs production, technical elements, engineering, equipment testing and coordination for live and recorded broadcasts of talk shows, podcasts and special programming, including studio performances, in-person and virtual events, and breaking news.
- Works with Content staff to ensure timely, appropriate audience service during breaking news and major events.
- Serves as an on-air voice for CapRadio’s News format by substituting for News hosts when needed (on both live and pre-recorded shifts), combining best practices in promotion and other elements to create a warm, compelling listener experience.
- Must be able to work flexible hours — including evenings and weekends — and fill a live shift on short notice.
- Participates in on-air fundraising, production and/or operations as assigned.
- This position is based in CapRadio’s Sacramento office and will require working on site approximately 75 percent of the time.
- Demonstrated skills in audio production (i.e. Adobe Audition), broadcast technology (i.e. Audio Over IP), broadcast automation (i.e. ENCO/DAD) and studio operations, including the ability to run a board.
- Broadcast voicing, writing, editing and hosting skills preferred.
- Familiarity with public radio news, music and cultural programming standards and values.
- Ability to take direction, and to work with accuracy, composure and collegiality while on deadline in stressful situations, including a live program environment.
- Strong communication skills and an attention to detail.
- A commitment to CapRadio’s core values.
Although we’re open to discussing a hybrid schedule that would include occasional remote work, this role is deemed essential and will require an on-site presence. You must be able to commute to our Sacramento, CA office.
Salary and Benefits
The annual salary for this position is $40,000-$41,600 annually. CapRadio also offers:
- competitive medical, dental, vision, chiropractic and acupuncture insurance
- a retirement plan with employer-matching
- 14 paid holidays
- two weeks of flexible, accruable paid-time off
- paid sick leave
- long-term disability and group life insurance
- flexible spending plan for health and dependent care
How To Submit An Application:
So, you’re going to apply? Great! Here’s what we’d like you to submit:
- A cover letter. Rather than simply describing your resume, please tell us about yourself, your background and why you think you’d be a good fit for this job.
- Your resume.
- Two examples of your best audio production work.
- A script for a 45-second spot encouraging a CapRadio listener to donate during our fund drive. Be creative and have some fun! (Voicing, mixing and submitting audio of the spot itself is not required, but you’re welcome to do so if you’d like.)
Please submit all documents in PDF format and include your audio files either as an MP3 attachment to the email or as a link. If you aren’t able to provide all of our requested materials but still feel you’re a strong candidate for this position, please submit whatever you can, and include an explanation of what you’re leaving out and why.
Email your application to [email protected]. You can address your cover letter to the hiring manager for this position, Ben Adler, Director of Programming & Audience Development.
Attn: Human Resources
7055 Folsom Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95826
Capital Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer.