Reporter/Program Host, NSPR
Posted: January 11, 2021
Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
CapRadio (Capital Public Radio), Sacramento’s award-winning public media organization, is looking for a full-time Reporter/Program Host to join our North State Public Radio (NSPR) team in Chico, California. As NSPR’s Reporter/Program Host, you will be dedicated to telling important stories from across the North State, whether short daily newscasts or longer investigative series. You will also be prepared to be a full-time or fill-in program host during national and local shows as needed.
We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive organization and it takes all kinds of people so if you’re excited about this role but don't meet all the qualifications listed below, we encourage you to apply.
Position duties will shift on occasion, but largely include:
- Evaluates news leads and news tips to develop story ideas for local broadcast
- Researches, reports, produces, and edits relevant and interesting stories for broadcast and online use
- Writes/edits stories according to prescribed editorial style and format; adheres strictly to the station’s journalistic code of ethics
- Produces daily newscasts
- Writes copy for on-air and print promotion of news stories, specials and features
- Posts content to NSPR website and social media sites (e.g., Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and NPR One)
- Acts as a live, on-air anchor and board operator. This includes announcing newscasts, breaking news, weather and traffic reports, underwriting, and operating multiple computer systems simultaneously (e.g., ENCO, Dropbox, Audition, Content Depot)
- Gives live reports from site of news event, when appropriate
- Collaborates with other reporters on assignments as needed
- A degree in Journalism or related field, or close obtainment of such degree, and/or comparable experience in broadcast journalism and audio production
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Superb reasoning and problem-solving skills with strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Efficient time management skills and the ability to organize and complete multiple tasks simultaneously
- Proficiency with professional-quality digital field recording equipment (e.g., flash recorders)
- Proficiency with digital audio editing software (e.g., Adobe Audition, Audacity)
- Proficiency in photography and video
- A team player with strong social skills
- Must have a valid driver’s license, dependable transportation and be willing to travel on occasion
- The position is located in Chico, CA.
Remote work is temporarily available under shelter in place orders. Must be able to commute to our Chico, CA office once restrictions have been lifted.
The salary range for this position is $42,000-45,000 annually. Compensation depends on experience. CapRadio also offers:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, chiropractic and acupuncture insurance
- Long-Term Disability and Group Life Insurance
- Paid holidays
- Flexible Vacation
- Retirement plan with employer matching
- Flexible spending plan for health and dependent care
Submit cover letter, resume, and three audio or print reporting samples to: firstname.lastname@example.org. You can address your cover letter to the hiring manager for this position, Phil Wilke, General Manager, NSPR.
Attn: Human Resources
7055 Folsom Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95826
Capital Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer.