Director of Talent & Culture
Posted: December 30, 2020
Status: Full Time, Exempt
End Date: Open Until Filled
Are you a dynamic leader who can partner with the General Manager and other executive leadership to develop and implement human resources, administrative systems and structures to support CapRadio’s mission and strategic vision?
Do you know how to foster a transformational talent strategy that transcends existing processes and systems while you engage diverse perspectives representative of our community?
If so, then you should apply to be CapRadio’s Director of Talent & Culture (DTC)!
In this new position, you’ll execute strategic plans that align with CapRadio’s mission, vision, and goals; address and balance increasingly complex and changing regulatory requirements and budgetary constraints; benefit a highly skilled workforce that reflects and supports the emotional, cultural, racial, and social values of the staff and communities served by the CapRadio.
The ideal candidate will feel a connection with CapRadio’s public service mission and will be experienced in and passionate about a range of HR and Admin functions including diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI). If you have extensive experience in HR, administrative, or a talent management and this sounds like you, we want you to apply.
We’re focused on building a diverse and inclusive organization and it takes all kinds of people.
- Plan, direct, organize, integrate, and evaluate the work of the Human Resources department, with overall responsibility for Administration, Operations, Benefits, Labor Relations, Classification, Compensation, Talent Acquisition and Management, Organizational and Staff Development, Employee Benefits, and Workforce Diversity and Development of CapRadio
- Champion CapRadio’s DEI initiatives particularly in the areas of Pay Equity, Hiring Practices, and Training
- Provide technical expertise and leadership regarding department activities and participate in the formulation of policies, procedures, and programs; advise on trends or challenges and recommend appropriate courses of action
- Serve as a strategic advisor, functional expert and thought partner to the GM and Executive leadership regarding key talent strategies and issues, including succession planning, leadership development, employee relations and retention, policies and procedures, systems, compensation, and benefits
- Align internal and external resources to execute the talent acquisition and retention strategies, ensuring CapRadio hires the best talent, deploys them equitably and inclusively, and retains
- Strengthen the quality of internal and external staff pipelines and define pathways for advancement
- Oversee preparation and administration of the department budget.
- Deliver presentations to Executive leadership, Department Heads, Staff, the Board of Directors and other constituencies on human resource programs, activities and operations and make relevant recommendations
- Coach and encourage direct reports to grow professionally, fostering a strong department culture of collaboration
- Help build a culture that is inclusive, representative of the communities served, and reflective of CapRadio’s mission and values
- Ensure the continued development of a culture that embraces diversity at all levels, managing formal and informal programs to promote a thoughtful, nuanced approach to equity and inclusion across the organization
- Ensure the HR & Admin team provides strong day-to-day support for employees with inquiries regarding compensation, benefits, and other employment issues, with a focus on delivering helpful, courteous, and timely service addressing staff questions, concerns and needs
- 10 years progressively responsible experience in a HR, administrative, or talent management position
- Demonstrated success translating organizational strategy into talent priorities and measurable outcomes
- Ability to build consensus, resolve conflict and facilitate difficult conversations
- Passionate about building an inclusive and equitable culture and workforce
- Possess high emotional intelligence skills
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Passionate about public media, journalism and/or music
Other Competencies for Success:
- Strategic Advisor: In a dynamic environment looking to grow, work with the management team to develop and implement CapRadio’s strategic vision:
- Serve as a strategic technology advisor to senior leadership, providing analytical frameworks and business judgment necessary to evaluate key decisions and initiatives
- Achieve trusted-advisor status with the senior leaders
- Team Leader: In an organization seeking ways to better service and support a diverse group of business stakeholders – demonstrate the ability to listen to multiple opinions and motivate compliance with strategic administrative decisions.
- “Helicopter” from big picture, strategic issues to more granular levels of detail as needed
- Work side-by-side with all managers and department heads to mentor and help address specific HR issues needing top level attention
- Foster and sustain a collaborative relationship based on mutual respect across the organization and advocate for a stronger sense of teamwork and partnership
- Implement sustainable cultural and organizational change in a sensitive way, effectively socializing new approaches and initiatives
- Convey a passion for CapRadio’s public service mission and project values of collegiality, transparency, and integrity
- Personal Characteristics:
- A pragmatic, collaborative, team-oriented leader with highly developed relationship building skills; adept as an influencer and consensus builder
- An unquestioned reputation for integrity and ethics; a strong character that will quickly gain the trust of others
- Creative, versatile, intuitive, and driven; mission oriented
- Legal, Professional Development, and Community Building backgrounds are all a plus
Remote work is temporarily available under shelter in place orders. Must be able to commute to our Sacramento, CA office once restrictions have been lifted.
The annual salary range for this position is $120,000.00 - $135,000.00 a year. CapRadio also offers:
- Medical, dental, vision, chiropractic and acupuncture insurance
- Long-Term Disability and Group Life Insurance
- Paid holidays
- Flexible Vacation
- Retirement plan with employer matching
- Flexible spending plan for health and dependent care
Submit your application online:
You can address your cover letter to the hiring manager for this position, Jun Reina, General Manager.
Capital Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer.