Posted: August 12, 2020
Status: Full Time, Exempt
End Date: Open Until Filled
The Capital Public Radio (CapRadio) Host is the defining voice of our daily talk show, Insight. You will convey the sound and approach of the program during interviews, cover breaking news, anchor special coverage, and make appearances in the community as the face of CapRadio.
We’re focused on building a diverse and inclusive organization and it takes all kinds of people so if you’re excited about this role but don't meet all of the qualifications listed below we encourage you to apply.
- Participates in program and departmental planning meetings, suggesting ideas for the program, and program guests.
- Serves as writer and producer of segments for the program as needed.
- Carries out other assignments as designated.
- Talks to sources, stays in close contact with the Content Department, reads books, magazines, periodicals, and listens to podcasts for program ideas and in preparation for interviews.
- Proposes specific interviews and conducts (live and prerecorded) interviews with guests, participants, and reporters.
- Stays fully versed in current events, including local, statewide, and state government news.
- Participates in any other production necessary for the program, including writing and producing daily promos.
- Writes program billboards, introductory copy, and teases.
- Provides continuity between items on the program.
- Writes and delivers introductory material.
- Adlibs as necessary to provide continuity.
- Utilizes social media to interact and inform the audience and promote the program.
- Makes personal appearances for CapRadio as assigned.
- Anchors CapRadio special coverage including election night and State of the State coverage, community forums, and other programs as needed.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- A superb interviewer
- An excellent writer
- A partner and total team player.
- Receptive to new ideas, thoughtful, poised, collaborative, and open to constructive criticism.
- A disciplined yet flexible thinker; someone who recognizes production processes but can think beyond them to engage listeners and create great radio.
- At least six years of journalism experience, including at least three years broadcast or equivalent experience.
- Proven ability to write for a broadcast audience.
- Demonstrated ability to report and converse on a wide range of subjects.
- Broad news knowledge.
- Well-versed in multiple social media platforms.
- Well-developed curiosity in a wide range of subjects.
- Demonstrated ability to discuss topical issues on-air in a clear, balanced, and intelligent manner.
- Well-developed on-air personality and a strong ability to conduct thoughtful and stimulating interviews with people who have diverse and opposing outlooks, comments, and viewpoints.
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure. Host must be able to anchor breaking news coverage on Insight and other Capital Public Radio coverage.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Familiarity with the public radio system and/or Cap Radio.
- Experience producing on digital audio workstations.
- On-Air experience.
The salary for this position is $100,000.
- Medical, Dental, Vision, chiropractic, and acupuncture insurance.
- Long-Term Disability and Group Life Insurance.
- Paid holidays.
- Flexible Vacation.
- Retirement plan with employer matching.
- Flexible spending plan for health and dependent care.
Submit cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. You can address your cover letter to the hiring manager for this position, Aram Sarkissian, Managing Editor of News-Talk.
Capital Public Radio
7055 Folsom Blvd. Sacramento, CA 95826
Capital Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer.