In a letter to STOP, City Clerk Shirley Concolino says nearly 23,000 petitions were signed by registered voters but violate election code.
The clerk says STOP submitted nine different versions of its petition with impermissible wording in each.
Joshua Wood with the pro-arena group "The 4000" says the clerk's decision is not surprising.
"STOP hasn't made the petitions public. They've continued to dodge, weave, duck, dive, do everything to avoid making these petitions public. We had believed for weeks it was because of the number of legal issues with them."-Joshua Wood, The 4000
The city clerk says two other violations by themselves invalidated about 30-percent of the petitions, or enough to keep the measure off of the June ballot.
Responses To The Clerk's Decision
My statement on the City Clerk's decision regarding the STOP initiative. https://t.co/4HI7VxXglD— Kevin Johnson (@KJ_MayorJohnson) January 24, 2014
The Sacramento Kings have released an updated work plan for the new downtown Sacramento arena than had been released before.
A judge has ruled a lawsuit over a non-binding term sheet between the City of Sacramento and the Sacramento Kings is without merit. But, the judge says the plaintiffs may amend the lawsuit to target the recently-approved arena project.
A new Sacramento arena hasn't been built yet, but the team is already selling the arena experience in a new office downtown.
The council voted 7-2 Tuesday night in favor of the new arena project. Many of the people who spoke against the arena project at the city council meeting have gone to court to try to undo the council's decision.
The City of Sacramento is preparing for as many as 900 people to attend tonight's city council meeting. The Sacramento Kings will ask for permission to begin the construction phase of a new downtown arena.