Senior Producer, Insight
Posted: September 30, 2019
Status: Full Time; Non-Exempt
End Date: Open Until Filled
Capital Public Radio in Sacramento is looking for a Senior Producer for Insight with Beth Ruyak. Insight is our flagship local show on the radio and it’s our most popular podcast. We think of Insight as the town square for our region. When there’s a big story, Insight is where newsmakers want to appear. Big issues, tough topics, arts and culture are all part of the vibrant mix on Insight every day.
We’re focused on building a diverse and inclusive organization and it takes all kinds of people so if you’re excited about this role but don't meet all of the qualifications listed below we encourage you to apply.
Who We Are And What You'll Do Here
As the Senior Producer for Insight, you'll be part of a five-person team that produces the live, hourlong show. You will play a key role in maintaining our high editorial and production standards. The Senior Producer is the show director, essentially the conductor of the live broadcast, ensuring all elements come together seamlessly in support of the show and its host. In addition, you’ll do research, conceive topics for segments and book guests. You will work to connect Insight to the Content Department, whether it’s our beat reporting, documentary productions, music programming or PolitiFact California. When there’s breaking news, the Insight production team is the front line with the newsroom to mobilize for CapRadio’s special coverage.
What We're Looking For In A Teammate
Teamwork and collaboration, with the ability to work autonomously when needed, communication, and a desire to learn, are essential interpersonal traits we’re looking for. In addition, we want someone with excellent news judgement, is proactive and enterprising in finding great stories. Someone who’s energetic, works well under pressure and is capable of multitasking. Storytelling is the foundation for everything we do, so you should be a top-notch writer with high level storytelling skills. We also value people who take their job seriously but don’t take themselves too seriously.
The salary range for this position is $65,000-$75,000 depending on skill and experience.
- Medical, Dental, Vision, chiropractic and acupuncture insurance
- Long-Term Disability and Group Life Insurance
- Paid holidays
- Flexible Vacation
- Retirement plan with employer matching
- Flexible spending plan for health and dependent care
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists in production of the daily show and digital assets using the Insight Code, templates and structure.
- Directs the live daily broadcast and, as needed, breaking news coverage for CapRadio.
- Collaborates with editors, reporters and music and news hosts to produce segments that ensure CapRadio’s content (News, Music, TVFH, PolitiFact) is represented on Insight
- Works with Digital team to update Insight web page and digital platforms, including social media.
- Working with studio and telephone guests, produced elements and breaking news production.
- Works with the Insight team to identify and research topics for segments; selecting and pre-interviewing guests
- Stays fully versed in current events, from regional to international and suggests ways to connect the dots between the two.
Essential Skills and Experience
- A four-year degree or equivalent experience required.
- Minimum three years full-time professional experience in radio news in a live talk show environment.
- Familiarity with public radio news programming a must. Previous public radio experience desired.
- Excellent news judgment and ability to conceive and shape topics.
- Computer literate, including high level audio editing skills using software such as Adobe or Pro Tools. Familiarity with Microsoft Windows operating system and Microsoft Office. Understanding of social media and digital platforms to advance the show.
Submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. You can address your cover letter to the hiring manager for this position, Aram Sarkissian, Managing Editor, News-Talk.
In your cover letter, please answer:
- Why you're interested in joining Capital Public Radio
- Why you're passionate about your work
- How your experience will contribute to our team
Capital Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer.