Assistant Producer, Insight
Posted: September 30, 2019
Status: Full Time; Non-Exempt
End Date: Open Until Filled
Capital Public Radio in Sacramento is looking for an Assistant Producer for Insight with Beth Ruyak. Insight is our flagship local show on the radio and it’s our most popular podcast. We think of Insight as the town square for our region. When there’s a big story, Insight is where newsmakers want to appear. Big issues, tough topics, arts and culture are all part of the vibrant mix on Insight every day.
We’re focused on building a diverse and inclusive organization and it takes all kinds of people so if you’re excited about this role but don't meet all of the qualifications listed below we encourage you to apply.
Who We Are And What You'll Do Here
As the Assistant Producer for Insight, you'll be part of a five-person team that produces the live, hour-long show. You will work to maintain our high editorial and production standards. You’ll do research, conceive topics for segments and book guests. When there’s breaking news, the Insight production team is the front line with the newsroom to mobilize for CapRadio’s special coverage.
What We're Looking For In A Teammate
Teamwork and collaboration, with the ability to work autonomously when needed, communication, and a desire to learn, are essential interpersonal traits we’re looking for. In addition, we want someone with excellent news judgement, who’s energetic, works well under pressure and capable of multitasking. Storytelling is the foundation for everything we do, so you should be a top-notch writer with high level storytelling skills. You will ideally have some background in broadcast journalism and a familiarity with public radio programming. We also value people who take their job seriously but don’t take themselves too seriously.
The salary range for this position is $45,000-$50,000 depending on skill and experience.
- Medical, Dental, Vision, chiropractic and acupuncture insurance
- Long-Term Disability and Group Life Insurance
- Paid holidays
- Flexible Vacation
- Retirement plan with employer matching
- Flexible spending plan for health and dependent care
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists in all aspects of the production of the daily show with studio guests, telephone guests, and produced elements and breaking news.
- Works with producers and host researching and identifying topics for programs.
- Produces and books show segments.
- Works with producers and host in selecting and pre-interviewing guests.
- Writes and produces promos and scripts.
- Edits sound files.
- Operates broadcast equipment.
- Conducts regular research of area, state, national, and international issues.
Essential Skills and Experience
- A four-year degree or equivalent experience required.
- Broadcast journalism background preferred. Familiarity with public radio news programming preferred.
- Excellent news judgment and ability to conceive and shape topics.
- Excellent writing and storytelling skills.
- Computer literate, including familiarity with Microsoft Windows operating system and Microsoft Office. Understanding of social media and digital platforms.
- Detail oriented and able to meet daily deadlines, often under stressful conditions, and deal effectively with multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to operate within a fast-moving team environment.
Submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can address your cover letter to the hiring manager for this position, Aram Sarkissian, Managing Editor, News-Talk.
In your cover letter, please answer:
- Why you're interested in joining Capital Public Radio
- Why you're passionate about your work
- How your experience will contribute to our team
Capital Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer.