Posted: April 29, 2019
Capital Public Radio, the NPR member station in Sacramento, California, is looking for inspired, multi-tasking go-getters who are eager to join our news team.
As an Insight intern, you are an integral part of the Insight team and work under the direction of the Sr. Producer. Interns provide production support for Insight, our live public affairs interview program, broadcast Monday through Friday at 9:00 a.m. on Capital Public Radio's News and Information stations.
The Insight Internship is a professional level position.
Main duties and necessary skills
- Works to identify topics and people to be interviewed on the hour-long program
- Conducts research and background information on assigned topics
- Contacts and coordinates live interviews
- Pre-interviews potential guests
- Greets and preps guests
- Professional competency in written and spoken English
- Strong writing ability, including experience with AP style
- Interest in media and regional politics preferred
- Ability to work efficiently on strict, tight deadline
- Ability to work collaboratively across teams
- Professional phone and interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with social media
- Ability to learn how to direct and engineer live shows
- Ability to learn audio editing
- Our interns must be students. Internships run approximately a semester and we require at least 2 days/16 hours per week
While you may produce topics that become aired segments, this is not an on air position.
By the end of the internship, you will have a full understanding of how a daily, live news and information program is produced. You will be able to fully produce a segment of the program from start to finish: pitching, researching, booking, directing, engineering and editing.
You will be stepping into a highly productive newsroom. Our reporters and producers are consistently recognized and awarded for excellence in reporting and broadcasting. We are very proud to have past interns on our current staff.
To apply, please submit the following:
- Cover Letter
Your cover letter must include:
- The name of your college or school.
- Your graduate or undergraduate academic area(s) of study.
- Name and contact information of your academic or internship advisor.
In addition, please include responses to the following questions:
- Why are you interested in an internship at Capital Public Radio?
- How do your classes and work experience relate to the internship position you are applying for?
- What do you hope to gain from your internship?
- What can Capital Public Radio hope to gain from you?
- How do you plan to use the skills you develop at Capital Public Radio in the future?
- Please provide a current resume.
Submit cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Capital Public Radio
7055 Folsom Blvd
Sacramento, CA 95826