Posted: February 9, 2018
Status: Full Time; Non- Exempt
End Date: Open Until Filled
Capital Public Radio is seeking a digital savvy producer with reporting experience to join our team. This is an extraordinary opportunity to work in a creative environment in one of the most vibrant and beautiful parts of the country, Northern California. As an industry leader in public radio, we work to inform and empower our listeners through excellent storytelling and community engagement. Together, we build an epic workplace where anything is possible. We embrace change and encourage innovation. We bring our passion and have fun. Above all, our audience comes first.
The Interactive Producer works to enhance and expand CapRadio’s presence on digital platforms by prioritizing and editing existing content and creating original content. The Interactive Producer also functions as a reporter/blogger during breaking news events and seeks to enrich CapRadio’s digital presence by adding dataviz, maps, photos, videos etc. to text stories. The Interactive Producer utilizes wide range of digital platforms to engage with new and diverse audiences.
- Medical, Dental, Vision, chiropractic and acupuncture insurance
- Long-Term Disability and Group Life Insurance
- Paid holidays
- Flexible Vacation
- Retirement plan with employer matching
- Flexible spending plan for health and dependent care
Duties and Responsibilities
- Acts as a creator and curator of digital content across platform, including social media
- Coordinates with editors to update, review and copy edit text stories
- During breaking news and/or developing stories, updates news copy for digital platforms, pulling from available sources such as fire/police incident reports, AP content, reporter/editor input etc. May also be required to contact sources for information. Checks wire services, local news sources & blogs for developing stories with a focus on the Sacramento, Tahoe/Truckee and Central Valley regions.
- Builds out daily stories and “special sections” with value-added dataviz, maps, videos, photos, related stories, blogs, storify, etc.
- Proactively communicates with the CapRadio audience through consistent, strategic online engagement
- Exercises quality control of capradio.org. Proofreads, confirms links, audits beats, evaluates for SEO.
- Stays up-to-date on news and current events, particularly in Sacramento, Tahoe/Truckee and Central Valley regions.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Experienced in creating content for online presentation
- Team oriented
- Excellent writer and proofreader
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrated excellence in news judgment and ability to generate engaging story ideas
- Ability to work well with accuracy under tight deadlines
- 2 years’ experience in a similar capacity preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field or experience preferred
- Public Broadcasting experience preferred
- Adept at using CMS applications, Adobe Creative Suite (including Audition and Photoshop) and mastery of working in HTML/CSS
The position requires flexible hours, possibly involving evenings and weekends.
We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you’re excited about this role but do not meet 100% of the qualifications listed above, we encourage you to apply
Submit cover letter and resume to:
Capital Public Radio
7055 Folsom Blvd. Sacramento, CA 95826
Capital Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer