Digital News Internship
Posted: December 5, 2016
Capital Public Radio seeks a motivated Digital News Intern to assist the Digital News Editor in producing content for CapRadio.org and other digital assets. The ideal candidate is motivated, a self-starter, a quick learner and passionate about creating thoughtful and engaging online content.
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn a Content Management Systems. Previous blogging or web producing experience is a plus
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn photo editing software, preferably Photoshop
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn audio editing software
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn AP Style
- Copy edit stories after they have been posted and check for formatting and factual errors. We comply with the AP Style Guide. The intern will ensure that all of the essential elements are present in the story in the CMS, such as tags, an author bio and dates. Ensure photos are linked to the story and that they have the correct proportions or attribution.
- Research and identify photos under the Creative Commons license for future stories or Insight segments on appropriate social media and photo sharing sites. Edit the photos, produce a caption and credit and upload them into the CMS.
- Post stories from the Associated Press wire as instructed by the Digital News Editor. This includes checking the story for any errors, finding, cropping and uploading a suitable photo to accompany the story and adding the story into the CMS.
- Assist with research-based digital projects. This could be writing content for an interactive timeline or compiling information into a spreadsheet, which can then be pulled into an interactive map.
- Pitch, write and produce cut and copy/reader stories for airing. This would entail interviewing sources, pulling soundbites and working with a Senior Editor to finalize a script.
- Conceptualize, pitch and write articles for CapRadio.org.
To apply for this internship, submit the following items to Capital Public Radio.
Your cover letter should include:
- What internship opportunity you are applying for.
- The name of your college or school.
- Your graduate or undergraduate academic major and/or minor.
- Name and contact information of your academic or internship advisor.
In addition please include your responses to the following questions:
- Why are you interested in an internship at Capital Public Radio?
- How do your relevant classes and work experience relate to the internship position you are applying for?
- What do you hope to gain from your internship?
- What can Capital Public Radio hope to gain from you?
- How do you plan to use the skills you develop at Capital Public Radio in the future?
Please provide a current resume.
Supporting Material (optional)
Please supply any relevant supporting materials such as writing samples or audio samples if required.
Submitting Your Application
Submit cover letter, resume and any required supporting materials to:
Capital Public Radio
7055 Folsom Blvd
Sacramento, CA 95826