Senior Producer, News
Posted: June 8, 2016
End Date: Open Until Filled
Capital Public Radio in Sacramento is looking for a Senior Producer, News. As the Senior Producer, News you will play a key role in coordinating newsroom operations and working across platforms in an editorial and managerial capacity. You maintain ethical, editorial, artistic, and technical standards for news content on-air and online. You work with the Managing Editor to shape daily and long-term news coverage plans and collaborate with the Senior Editor, News to ensure coordinated story production across platforms. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who wants to be part of a creative, award winning and ambitious news organization.
- Manages news coverage in a timely, effective and responsible manner across platforms
- Assists Managing Editor and Senior Editor, News in developing news story ideas and events for coverage
- Assists Managing Editor in selecting reporters for coverage and scheduling stories for air, digital and other platform content as needed
- Distributes coverage plan communications
- Supervises hosts and anchors
- Manages schedules for hosts and anchors; coordinates coverage with ME
- Cross trains newsroom staff to increase flexibility and deepen the anchor and host bench
- Produces spots, features and interviews as needed
- Deputizes for Managing Editor as needed
Essential skills, experience and attributes:
- Minimum five years full-time professional, progressively responsible experience in radio news. Management experience preferred.
- A four-year degree or equivalent experience required
- Familiarity with public radio news programming a must. Previous public radio experience desired.
- Advanced copy editing and broadcast writing skills
- A broad knowledge of local, regional, national and international political, legislative, economic, scientific, arts and cultural affairs
- Demonstrated ability to work within a live program environment
- Highly computer literate including excellent skills with Microsoft Windows operating system, Microsoft Office and audio editing software, such as Adobe Audition or Pro Tools.
- Skilled in social media platforms for news gathering and dissemination
- Must have excellent memory for details, be able to meet daily deadlines, often under stressful conditions, and deal effectively with a multiplicity of tasks simultaneously
- Ability to drive a motor vehicle and California driver’s license
Submit cover letter, resume, and audio or print reporting samples to:
Capital Public Radio
7055 Folsom Blvd. Sacramento, CA 95826
Capital Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer.