Morning Drive Classical Host and Producer
Posted: December 2, 2015
Status: Full Time, Exempt
End Date: Open Until Filled
Capital Public Radio in Sacramento is hiring for the position of Morning Drive Classical Host and Producer. This is an extraordinary opportunity to work in a creative, dynamic environment in one of the most beautiful parts of the country, Northern California. Sacramento is a growing community with a reputation for a great quality of life, an amazing food scene and plenty of outdoor activities. Sacramento is also known as one of the most diverse communities in the country.
As the primary voice (and face) of CapRadio’s classical music service and host of the weekday morning drive shift, you possess a warm and inviting on-air presence that engages our loyal audience and attracts new curious listeners. You convey a sense of passion, fun and excitement in your work.
You have a strong classical music background yet you have an appreciation for other forms of music and popular culture. You know how to present classical music so that it’s alive and current, engaging fans and casual listeners alike.
You bring fresh ideas to your collaboration with the Managing Editor, Music and Arts (ME/Music), introducing and refining production elements and thematic concepts that attract, engage and grow the audience, not just during morning drive but throughout the entire broadcast schedule and online. You delight in being part of a successful team!
You are adept at using programming software to create classical music playlists. You have an understanding of social media and its important role in connecting with an audience.
As an organization we believe that audience comes first and that anything is possible. We embrace change and encourage innovation while building an epic workplace. Together, we bring our passion and have fun.
You engage existing audiences and attract new ones through your conversational, warm and inviting on-air presentation. You are professional, but also fun. You demonstrate a deep knowledge of classical music and a general knowledge of other forms of music. You have a way of sharing information about classical music that is entertaining and engages listeners and readers who may or may not be familiar with classical music. You are a storyteller who strives more to entertain than to educate.
- Announces and board-engineers weekday music shift following guidelines put forth by Managing Editor/Music
- Produces program promos as needed
- Conducts interviews, produces audio features and writes for broadcast, the CapRadio website, the members’ e-newsletter and other platforms
- Participates in Music and Arts editorial meetings and assists in ongoing editorial decision making including auditioning new releases
- Participates as writer, producer, or guest in produced features and interviews across CapRadio terrestrial and digital platforms
- Programs music and edits playlists using Music Master software as assigned
- Seeks ways to engage audiences through thematic programming, special series, listener-generated content, and other programming and produced elements, in co-ordination with ME/Music
- Responds to calls and correspondence from listeners in a timely and courteous manner
- May be called upon by ME/Music to develop and maintain record company contacts and solicit new CDs
- Performs all duties in a manner consistent with normal industry standards for announcing and production competence
- Follows all FCC guidelines regarding aspects of Control Room operation, including compliance with EAS requirements and maintenance of operating logs
- Excellent on-air communicator with a conversational yet professional delivery
- Solid knowledge of classical music, including composers, musicians, and history; and general knowledge of other forms of music
- Excellent enunciation and foreign language pronunciation skills
- Strong writing abilities
- Understands the importance of show prep and knows how to research and share information about the music and musicians that will be of interest to a broad audience, not just “those in the know”
- Creative thinker who seeks new ways of connecting with the audience
- Skilled at audio production using Adobe Audition (or equivalent)
- Familiar with Music Master music scheduling software (or equivalent)
- A team player who desires collaboration with others
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong on-air fundraiser
- Poised and professional public speaker
- Commitment to Capital Public Radio’s mission and core values
- 3-5 years on-air experience (public or commercial, any format)
- Some experience programming music and editing playlists
- Sense of humor
Submit cover letter, resume, and supporting material to Capital Public Radio. Please attach electronic files or links to audio samples with your application.
Capital Public Radio
7055 Folsom Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95826
Capital Public Radio is an Equal Opportunity Employer.