Managing Editor, News and Information
Posted: June 4, 2015
Capital Public Radio in Sacramento is hiring for the position of Managing Editor, News and Information. This is an extraordinary opportunity to lead a creative, award winning and growing News Department in one of the most fascinating and beautiful parts of the country, Northern California.
We’re looking for a positive, proactive leader who will inspire and harness the power of our news room’s potential. The Managing Editor will oversee a dynamic and growing team of reporters, editors and producers that creates radio and digital content for listeners in Northern California and Western Nevada and, through our Capital Public Radio Network (CPRN), more than three million listeners a week on 30 public radio stations in California, and Oregon. Capital Public Radio also produces the daily public affairs show Insight with Beth Ruyak, a nationally distributed, award winning multimedia documentary series The View From Here and we regularly create community engagement initiatives across the region that are informing our journalism and having an impact. Currently, we’re launching PolitiFact California, a first if its kind partnership with the Pulitzer Prize winning fact checking organization and we’re in the midst of a year-long department-wide initiative examining undocumented immigration in California.
As an organization we believe the audience comes first and that anything is possible. We embrace change and innovation while building an epic workplace together. We bring our passion and we have fun.
Working for the Chief Content Officer, the ideal candidate will identify with the mission and culture of Capital Public Radio, be a top notch journalist and a strategic thinker who isn’t afraid to dive into the weeds when needed; have superior interpersonal and leadership skills as well as excellent verbal and written communication skills; a planner who can be flexible when necessary and a positive team-builder who sees possibilities not problems. We’re looking for someone who takes initiative and thrives in a continually evolving environment while keeping the team inspired and focused all the while maintaining the highest level of journalistic standards.
- Determines departmental coverage priorities each day, coordinating across all platforms and shows to maximize listener impact and station resources.
- Works closely with the Chief Content Officer and the Managing Editor, Music to create and carry out the strategic vision for CapRadio Content.
- Works with reporters and Senior Editor to assign and shape beat and feature stories to meet the goals of our coverage, ensuring best use of each platform.
- Edits daily, longform and digital content as needed.
- Evaluates coverage and identifies needs as we grow and determines ways to develop individual staff and the team.
- Works with the Chief Content Officer to set long-term coverage goals and strategies for the news operation and to assess progress toward meeting those goals
- Inspiring ambition, team effort, efficiency and high editorial standards.
- Works with the ME/Music to identify and implement areas of content cross pollination.
- Convenes editorial and planning meetings with content creators as needed.
- Plays role in production of The View from Here documentaries including departmental production coordination and content development.
- Coordinates long-term coverage with the Senior Producer of Insight with Beth Ruyak.
- Develops tactical planning for the department and assists in strategic planning.
- Minimum seven years full-time professional, progressively responsible experience in radio news. Management experience preferred.
- A four-year degree or equivalent experience required.
- Familiarity with public radio news programming a must. Previous public radio experience desired.
- Advanced copy editing and broadcast writing skills.
- A broad knowledge of local, regional, national and international political, legislative, economic, scientific, arts and cultural affairs.
- Demonstrated ability to work within a live program environment.
- Highly computer literate including excellent skills with Microsoft Windows operating system, Microsoft Office and audio editing software, such as Adobe Audition or Pro Tools.
- Highly familiar with social media platforms.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must have excellent memory for details, be able to meet daily deadlines, often under stressful conditions, and deal effectively with a multiplicity of tasks simultaneously.
Send cover letter, resume, reference list, audio/print reporting samples and compensation requirements to:
Capital Public Radio
7055 Folsom Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95826
Capital Public Radio is an Equal Opportunity Employer.