We Get Support From:
Become a Supporter 
 We Get Support From:
Become a Supporter 

Music Web Internship

Posted: February 10, 2015

Fall 2015

Capital Public Radio seeks bright, dynamic and motivated interns who want to gain hands-on, resume-building experience in music journalism for the Web. Interns provide content production support for CapRadioMusic.org.

FUNCTION: To assist with the weekly content production and promotion of CapRadio Music.

ESSENTIAL DUTIES: Assists Web editor in writing, posting and distributing stories on CapRadioMusic.org and assists music content producer with recording, posting and distributing in-studio performances and developing music beds.

DESIRED OUTCOME: By the end of the internship, the student will have a full understanding of how a daily music website is produced and distributed and will learn about the functions of running a website.  The intern should be able to produce quick-turnaround Web stories and longer form feature pieces, as well as be able to analyze Web traffic, distribution tactics and content performance.

QUALIFICATIONS: Excellent writing and interviewing skills, the ability to communicate professionally and an interest in the Web-based media, music and audio recording. Reliability, professional demeanor and appearance, and an interest in a broadcasting, journalism, music or related career are essential qualities of the ideal intern. This is not an on-air position. 

OTHER REQUIRENMENTS: Must be a student, enrolled in an internship class or program, where academic credit applies.

Interns are required at least one semester on staff of a student newspaper, or equivalent experience and be able to devote a minimum of two days per week, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. as well as being open to cover evening events if needed and desired by intern. 

APPLICATION PROCEDURE: To apply for an internship, submit the following items to Capital Public Radio. Interviews for finalists will be set up after these materials are received.

Cover Letter
Your cover letter should include:

What internship opportunity you are applying for.

• The name of your college or school.
  • Your graduate or undergraduate academic major and/or minor.
  • Name and contact information of your academic or internship advisor.

In addition please include your responses to the following questions:

• Why are you interested in an internship at Capital Public Radio?
  • How do your relevant classes and work experience relate to the internship position you are applying for?
  • What do you hope to gain from your internship?
  • What can Capital Public Radio hope to gain from you?
  • How do you plan to use the skills you develop at Capital Public Radio in the future?

Please provide a current resume.

Supporting Material (optional)
Please supply any relevant supporting materials such as writing samples if required.

Submitting Your Application
Submit cover letter, resume and any required supporting material to:

Human Resources
Capital Public Radio
7055 Folsom Blvd
Sacramento, CA 95826