Become a Supporter
Become a Supporter
Monday, January 5, 2015
State Of The State 2015
Jerry Brown made California history when he was sworn in as the state's first, four-term governor on Monday, January 5, 2015. We provided live, special coverage starting at 10 a.m. Co-hosted by Beth Ruyak of Capital Public Radio's Insight program, and John Myers, senior editor of KQED’s Government and Politics Desk, the special featured the governor's swearing-in by California Supreme Court Chief Justice Tani Cantil-Sakauye (with a length introduction by Anne Gust Brown) followed by his State of the State speech, plus field interviews at the Capitol and in-studio guest analysts in Sacramento, San Francisco and New York.
- Ben Adler, CapRadio Capitol Bureau Chief
- Katie Orr, CapRadio State Government Reporter
- Amy Quinton, CapRadio Environment Reporter
- Darrell Steinberg, former CA Senate President Pro Tempore and leader of the state senate majority party from 2008-2014
- Cassandra Pye, founder and principal of 3.14 Communications, a California-based strategic consulting and communications firm. Pye served as Deputy Chief of Staff to Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
- Orville Schell, Arthur Ross Director of the Center on U.S.-China Relations at the Asia Society in New York. Schell wrote "Brown," a 1978 biography on the governor.
- Assemblyman Marc Levine - (D-San Rafael)
- State Sen. Janet Nguyen - (R-Orange Co.)
Reporters from Capital Public Radio, KQED and KPCC took a closer look at the governor's speech. Click on the highlighted parts below to read their analysis.
Jerry Brown is now the only fourth-term governor in California history. He took the oath of office Monday morning in a packed Assembly chamber at the state Capitol.
California lawmakers and environmental groups are calling the climate goals Governor Jerry Brown laid out in his State of the State speech ambitious. Reaction is mixed on whether the goals are achievable.
Check back regularly for updates on the State of the State and Inauguration today. Complete text, and audio of speech now available. UPDATE: Jan. 6, 5 A.M.
Gov. Jerry Brown delivers his inaugural address on Jan. 5, 2015.
For the fourth time in his life – more than anyone else in history – Democrat Jerry Brown will be sworn in as governor of California Monday morning. UPDATED: 9 p.m. Sunday.
Curious about how the state of California has changed over the years in the words of our governors? Click the link below to hear and read archived speeches dating back to the Schwarzenegger administration.